Converting a Halloween Costume to a Different Size

Category Kids
You can save money by altering last year's costume to fit another child. This guide contains instructions for converting a Halloween costume to a different size.

Last year, I made a shark jacket costume. Fast forward to this new year, I was able to revamp the shark costume to suit my toddler. She wants to be a shark for Halloween inspired by her current favorite song Baby Shark.

This is an inexpensive Halloween costume that can be made with simple items - felt, hot glue, scissors, and gray clothing you may already have at home.

Click Here: Shark Costume

Total Time: 45 minutes

• gray dress
  • hot glue gun
  • scissors
  • felt
  • gray shirt/jacket

1. Assuming you don't have an existing shark jacket costume for this new revamp, you will just need to make the shark fin. Fold gray felt in half and cut a wave shape, sew leaving an opening and add stuffing. Then sew fin shut. For me, I cut off the shark fin from the existing jacket.
  2. Then on the bottom of the jacket cut off the elastic and toss it out (or save to reuse in the future), but you will need (2) 1" strips of fabric like below.
  3. I just cut off the hood from the jacket costume from last year. If you are making this for the first time you will need to make the hood, either using one from an old jacket or by creating one. You will need to make teeth from the white felt and use red felt to line the hood for the inside of the mouth. Attach with hot glue directly to the hood. The hood can be tied to your child's chin (optional) or you can use Velcro. For the ties I used two strips cut from the jacket and glued in place.
  4. For the fin, you will need to hot glue the straps together in the center. Then hot glue the fin to the center of the straps so each arm can swing in the hole like a backpack strap. The straps were cut from the jacket.
  5. Ready to complete this shark costume with a gray dress!