Costume Jewelry Christmas Tree

I make costume jewelry Christmas trees as gifts for family. This one on black background was given to me 30 years ago and made by my 86 year old aunt. It is one of the most loved things in my home.

Old family pieces are nice or just collect them at yard sales. They are getting harder to find.

1. Choose the size based on the amount of jewelry you have. I have made some small enough to fit in a 3x3 inch box lid for the tree. Others are 5x7 inches and 16x20 inches. That is up to you.
  2. Find a nice piece of cardboard for the back, then glue the fabric to the board with spray glue. Let that dry good.
  3. Start with the top of the tree down about 1 1/2 inches for a header space. Then poke straight pins in measuring same space on each side as you come down the tree. Be sure you have a space at the bottom as well, about 1 1/2 inches.
  4. I line up several large pieces down the center and lay all of the large pieces out before I glue any. I step back and look at it sometimes for several hours. Then glue them once you like the look.
  5. Then go around the edge with small pieces and fill in with small stones or what ever you have. No two are the same. I have made over 30 and hate to part with any of them. Most have been for gifts to relatives using family items they sent me.
  6. Advertisement

7. Dust the item with a piece of tap rolled around your finger.
  8. Then add the frame.
  9. Do not use super glue, it off gasses really badly once the glass is in place and will turn gold black.

You can also use buttons and let the kids make them.

Great idea - very nice

Gorgeous!

When I bought one of these at a yard sale over 30 years ago, my family thought that I was crazy! It's the first thing that goes up at Christmas time and now everyone loves it!

I have made several for 'special' friends and family. I am so glad that you showed everyone how to make it. It is truly unique! Kathy

How do you take the clip or pin from the back of the brooch? The tree is gorgeous!

What kind of glue do you use?

Anonymous

What kind of glue do you use?

I was wondering if a shadow box would work for a tree already on a canvas? I received one and would like to get it framed.

What do you mean by poke straight pins down. You poke them thru the velvet? Also, can u use glue gun or is craft glue better. Thanks!

Beautiful!!! I plan on doing this soon. I have been concerned that putting heavy pieces on velvet or paper would pull the fabric/paper away from the backing.

Also, Judging from your comments in tip #8 you must be putting you tree under glass. If so, are you careful about average depth of your jewelry?

Do you remove the jewelry backs?

Crafts Christmas DecorationsAugust 30, 2013
🎄
🎉