Counting Down to Christmas

Category Miscellaneous
The holidays are always here before adults are ready, but for some children it seems to take forever. This guide is about counting down to Christmas.

This is a craft for the kiddies to make as time for Santa draws near, and they ask repeatedly "How many more Days?"

Just copy this onto a piece of card stock or on if you only have paper, just copy it and glue it to the back of a cereal box, and cut it out. Let the kids do the coloring and then just tie the treats on with string or yarn. Each child could make his very own Count Down to Santa.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

Editor's Note: This was originally posted in 2006.

Click Here to Download the Countdown to Santa Instructions in PDF Format.

Each day you take a ring off, it helps the kids count down til Christmas.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

Instructions:

1. Cut construction paper according to how many days left until Christmas (vary how many of each color).
  2. Draw something to do with Christmas (tree, star, wreath, etc.) on rings.
  3. Staple or tape each one, drawing side out, into a ring linking each one together as you go.
  4. Then tack onto something like a bulletin board, or the wall, and every day take one ring off.

By Teresa L S. from Campbellsville, KY

If you don't have a Christmas countdown already, this is a cute little project you can make! The supplies used are easy to get and inexpensive.

Total Time: 20 minutes

• box
  • aluminum tag
  • scissors
  • marker
  • stickers - optional
  • bow
  • glue/tape

If you don't have an aluminum tag, you can use a piece of clear paper protector, sticky notes, or perhaps chalkboard sticker, & etc.

1. I wrapped an empty Perfect Kids Snack Bar box with patterned red/glitter houndstooth paper. You can also use wrapping paper if you have any. *I underestimated my paper so I had to cut a little piece to cover the top.
  2. I threaded green glittery ribbon through the tag and hot glued it to the top of the box.
  3. Over the ribbon, I added a ribbon bow.
  4. Using washable marker you can write your count down.
  5. Optional - Add stickers around if you'd like. The kids wanted stickers. These are actually recycled from address labels that are mailed home for free from charities.

To help the kids with counting down till Christmas and wanting to open presents I get small inexpensive gifts for as many days before Christmas as I like. I usually do two weeks. I buy small erasers, pencils, sweets, etc. and wrap each individually.

Does anyone know where to find those Christmas countdown calendars with the chocolate figures in them for each day? I looked everywhere but still can't seem to find them! Thanks so much!

Tauni

Answers

By Lynn (Guest Post)

I have bought them at the Christmas Tree Shop, if there is one in your area.

By Faith (Guest Post)

I found some this last weekend at the The Dollar Tree.

By Bron (Guest Post)

Hi,

Try at Michael's. They usually have them there. Or, I think I've seen them at the Dollar Tree too, this year. If you have a Fresh Market in your area, they're in there, up near the checkouts.

HTH,
Bron
pianopassionate (at) gmail (dot) com

Do you mean an Advent Calendar? Try search with Google.

Try World Market Store.... they have them and they are only about $1.99 each. They are called Advent Calendars.... Good Luck

KJ

Walgreens. :)