Creamy Cucumber Soup
This delicious cucumber soup can be served hot or cold. It uses avocado rather than cream to provide the smooth creamy texture. The instructions and accompanying photos can be found on this page.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
With an overabundance of cucumbers in our garden this year, I tried this hot or cold cucumber soup recipe using avocado for the creamy consistency instead of cream. We loved it and I think you will as well!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 big cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cups peeled, seeded and thinly sliced cucumbers
- 1 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium high heat and add garlic and onion, stirring until tender, 1 to 4 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and cook 1 more minute.
- Peel, core, and cut thin cucumber slices.
- Add 3 3/4 cups of the peeled, cored, thin, cucumber slices, broth, salt, pepper and cayenne, bringing it all to a simmer. Reduce heat ad cook at a gentle simmer until cucumbers are soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a processor/blender. Add avocado and parsley, blend at low speed until smooth. Use CAUTION pureeing hot liquids!
- Pour into bowl and add a dollop of yogurt. Chop some of the 1/4 cup remaining cucumber slices. Serve the soup warm or refrigerate and serve it chilled. Just before serving garnish with the chopped cucumber and a sprinkle of the parsley flakes.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.