Decorating Foam Pumpkins

Category Decorations
Foam pumpkins can be purchased inexpensively to use in making your fall and Halloween decorations. They can also be used to make cute faux cactus decor. Decorating the pumpkins themselves is easy and fun. This is a guide about decorating foam pumpkins.

I have wanted to cover a pumpkin in lace since I saw one using an old pair of lacy hose. I finally just stopped and did it.

Total Time: 2 Hours

Yield: 1

• 1 faux pumpkin ($1.00)
  • 2.5 yd black lace ($.25)
  • 40-45 white faux snow balls ($.30)
  • 6 ft wire edged white and silver ribbon ($.25)
  • 1 earring ($.10)
  • a bit of glitter nail polish ($.02)
  • hot glue gun and 1 stick of glue ($.10)
  • 30 straight pins ($.10)

When you see the supplies photo, you will notice about the only thing I used was the pumpkin and the black lace. I found other things I liked better along the way.

1. I measured the basic circumference of the pumpkin and then cut a "sort of square" of the lace. This lace was from a cape so the pieces weren't square, but like a panel.
  2. After cutting the shape, I began to glue (then pin once I found the foam to be soft enough) the sides.
  3. Then I did the same thing the other direction. I was going to trim the "points", but found them to be kind of fun for the final effect, so I left them.
  4. I than gathered the excess fabric and began to fold and fold again, making sure it was all secured to the pumpkin. The corner that remained I left for a "ruffle".
  5. I had three types of lace in bows on the top, but didn't like the way they looked. I found these faux snowballs that came off a Christmas decoration from a couple years back. I began to glue them on at random. As you can see, the first idea for the top was lace. I took it off as soon as I saw the little orbs were white and shiny.
  6. I finally found some pretty white ribbon with silver edging. That was all it took. I made a 6 loop bow and then added two tails.The final step was to find something to put in the center. I wanted something simple I could embellish. I used this earring. I put some glitter nail polish on it and when dry, pried off the back and hot glued it to the center. N-JOY!!

I love the little foam pumpkins I get at the Dollar Tree. But let's face it, they are pretty "uninspired".

Making the second foam pumpkin brought out the Punk' in me. I love the way it turned out.

This attractive faux cactus begins with a foam pumpkin. Add some paint, flowers, and large headed pins and you too can make a personalized floral decoration for your home or to give as a gift.

This is a guide about making a foam pumpkin faux cactus.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

So, you don't like mess and you don't need the seeds. You don't like traveling to a pumpkin patch or even the local supermarket for cutters and patterns and such.

Get a faux pumpkin from a thrift or dollar store, grab a sharpie and your imagination. Just mark your pumpkin any old' way you want to! If you are not crafty, look at images on the web for shape inspiration!

N-JOY!

Source: I saw it in several places like Pinterest but nothing specific.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2