Educational Resources for Seniors

Category Senior Living
Besides the public library, there are many online resources available for continuing education. This is a guide about educational resources for seniors.

My husband had already retired. I thought it would be a good time for us to spend time doing things that we've always loved so I retired early. Lucky for me, nature and the environment has always been my passion and I wanted to help with environmental issues in my retirement years, so I checked with all the local colleges and ended up finding a wonderful college certification program for Conservation and Natural Resources.

It is half of a program needed (along with Police training) which would qualify one for a Park Ranger position. I will not be continuing with the police academy portion. I asked if I could enroll in this program as a Senior Auditor and they said Yes! I will not receive a certificate since I didn't pay the $7500 tuition for the 15 credit, one semester course, but I participated in all aspects of the program including presentations, tests and field studies in the middle of streams and lakes!

I totally enjoyed myself, loved the dozen students in the class, and learned a lot from dendrology (the studies of trees), orinthology (the study of birds), wildlife management, freshwater ecosystems, and even park management.

Now I am paying it forward! I volunteer at a local state park and natural history museum so I am using this knowledge to help share my love of nature with my community now!

I am sure there are other courses you might want to take that your colleges may offer. This one was just right for me!

Try asking and good luck as a lifetime learner!

There are a number of sites that offer free educational programs. This guide is about free online education courses.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes