Fixing a Washer That Won't Spin

My top loading washer won't spin and is making a really loud popping sound, like some thing's slipping. What could this be?

By Tyler from Niles, MI

Answers:

Fixing a Washer That Won't Spin

Call an appliance repair person. I did, for this exact same problem. One house call, 20 minutes, and he replaced the part and I was good to go. It did cost $100, but if you know nothing about washing machines and don't have access to replacement parts, it is well worth it.

The part he replaced commonly wears out (my machine is 10 years old) and is an easy fix for someone who knows what he is doing. This guy knew exactly what to bring as I described the problem over the phone, had specialized tools for the job that he had made himself, and knew how to get into the machine with no fuss or mess or moving things around. It was a joy to watch him work, and well worth the money for the peace of mind in having it done right. (02/08/2010)

By louel53