DecorationsHalloween

Floating Fabric Ghost

This is a simple way to make a really cool ghost decoration for the Halloween season. When it's all done, it's just the fabric that's standing up on its own; it does not need any support. All you need is thin fabric, starch, and some objects from around the house to build upon. I used a slightly heavy linen-like cheese cloth, but you can use any thin fabric you can find.

You can use any number of things to make the ghost shape to build on. I used a lightbulb on a plastic bottle and stuck a wire hanger through. You could also use Styrofoam balls and regular sturdy wire. I used spray starch to stiffen the fabric, but you could use goopy liquid starch as well. I started mine at night and let it dry through the morning.

Total Time: 30 minutes plus dry time

Yield: 1 ghost

1. Cut off the top of the plastic bottle so your lightbulb can sit in it.
  2. Place the lightbulb inside and tape it so it does not fall off.
  3. Cut the hanger or wire so it's long enough to poke through the bottle to mimic 2 arms.
  4. Bend the arms upward and tape into place.
  5. Place this ghost form on a board or tray lined with foil or parchment paper.
  6. Cut a wide rectangular strip of fabric and drape it over the head and arms, pushing down to form snuggly, then drench with starch.
  7. Smooth the wrinkles out on the head.
  8. Now cut a big square of cloth and drape it over the ghost, making sure it's long enough to gather at the bottom after pressing down around the head and shoulders. Saturate with starch.
  9. Trim the corners off in a rounded fashion.
  10. Place something sturdy in front of the arms so it doesn't weigh down and fall while it dries. I used 2 water bottles.
  11. When it's dry, very gently remove the plastic bottle and lightbulb form from underneath.
  12. It will stand on its own. Trim off any excess fabric.
  13. I let mine fully finish drying in the morning sun. It looked pretty cool just standing there-- almost creepy!

Love how this turned out!

Thank you! I get the chills every time I walk past him :D

Crafts Halloween DecorationsOctober 3, 2019
🎃