OrnamentsChristmas

French Macaron Cookie Ornaments

I think French macaron cookies are so incredibly cute. I love their soft curves, vivid colours, and matching filling. I have yet to make the actual cookies from scratch, but I've gone ahead and jumped the gun with these ornaments. They're made from plastic and metal bottle caps, so they're extremely cost effective. All you need is some glue, paint, and glitter. These would be a great gift for the cookie lover in your life!

Total Time: 90 minutes plus dry time

Yield: 6 macaron cookie ornaments

1. You'll want to block out any of the designs on the metal caps, so give them a nice coat of any primer and let dry. You can also use coloured 2-in-1 primer and colour paint.
  2. After the primer dries, coat them in a couple thick layers of coloured acrylic paint.
  3. Allow painted metal caps to dry fully.
  4. If your plastic bottle caps are a bit on the large side, cut a tiny triangular wedge out on the side so it can squeeze its way into the metal bottle cap.
  5. Loop some string to make the ornament hanger.
  6. Hot glue the knotted end of the string loop into the center of a plastic bottle cap.
  7. Hot glue the plastic cap into a metal cap.
  8. Hot glue this into a matching metal cap. You have a sandwich cookie!
  9. To make the filling matching the cookie, make a mini pile of glitter in lid or a dish. Add a small line of hot glue into the opening of the cookie where the plastic cap is exposed. Dip into glitter. Repeat until you get all the way around the cookie.
  10. Use a clean, dry paintbrush to dust off any excess glitter off the metal cap areas.
  11. Hang your ornaments. Off-season, these will be keychains and purse charms!

Super cute decoration. I love macarons!

Thanks! I do, too. I still need to learn to make the real thing :)