Getting Rid of Gnats in Bathroom

Category Bathroom
Gnats can sometimes find a home in bathroom drains. This is a guide about getting rid of gnats in bathroom.

I have gnats in one bathroom and they wont go away! I've tried pouring some products down the drain but nothing seems to work. Help!

Answers

Best Answer

You can kill small gnats by spraying with hairspray. Either use cheap stuff right out of the canister - or dilute pump sprays with 1/2 rubbing alcohol.

Best Answer

Do you have a plant in the room? The flies may be coming from the soil. You may have to repot and treat soil with an insecticide, or is your kitchen close by? They may be baby fruit flies, not sure how you get rid of them. Sorry

Best Answer

I have this problem every year. You actually have to keep the drains closed to prevent them from coming in. They're coming in from the drain itself, via the septic tank or sewer. If you've lost the stopper, just put a plastic lid or something over the drain after you use it each time. You may actually have to do this with all of your drains. I also sprinkle some 20 mule team borax in the sink at night. In a few days, they should be gone.

I have gnats flying around my bathroom, particularly my light fixture and climbing up the walls. I swat and wipe them up then more come back. They are also on my sink and in my bathtub. They seem to be multiplying. What can I do to get rid of them for good?

By Alice from Atlanta, GA

Answers

Best Answer

I've heard that spraying Listerine will help. It can't hurt, to spray the fixtures, and around the sink, there are many different "flavors" now.

Best Answer

For good, not much. They are territorial and come to where they can find the scents they love.

You can however, kill them. Fill a plastic cup half full of apple cider vinegar and a couple drops of dish washing liquid. That breaks up the surface adhesion and they dive in and drown. If you can, put it up high light the top of a cabinet or somewhere you don't have to see them or knock it over.

Best Answer

You might be dealing with sewer gnats/drain flies. They can set up housekeeping in floor and sink drains.

First I'd try slowly pouring a half gallon of boiling water down every drain in the room. Don't pour it too fast - you want some water to remain in the trap (elbow joint).

Repeat the boiling water treatment for a few days in a row. If these are drain flies (which it sounds like they are, since most gnats wouldn't hang out in the bathroom), this should solve the problem. There are also drain products you can buy that are made specifically to get rid of sewer gnats.

Best Answer

The best thing I find that is working for me is fill a small bowl, like a pyrex glass bowl with water and dish soap and stir it to distribute the soap. I have tried the vinegar and soap and that didn't work at all. I also pour bleach down the drains. I did buy and hang up fly paper and that really worked. I had a horrible amount of them and I think now they are finally starting to go away. It takes a while. They breed in the drains, so the bleach really helps. Pouring hot water down the drains works somewhat if you do it monthly.