Getting Rid of Horse Flies

Category Flies
Horses with fly nets to keep the horse flies off their heads.
Horse flies can be a menace to have around. This is a guide about getting rid of horse flies.

Does anyone have a solution on how to get rid of Horse flies around your house? I have so far conquered getting rid of flies and mosquitoes, but not Horse flies and they are terrible. Any clues?

By Bunny from Ripley, TN

Answers

Best Answer

The best way to get rid of horse flies in the house or on your patio is to spray them with hairspray. Once they are sprayed, they drop to the ground because their legs are stuck together. Try it.

Best Answer

I have found out that putting water and bleach in a sandwich bag will limit most flies

1. We have cows.

2. Chickens.

3. Goats.

4. Pig.

5. Rabbit.

6. Dogs.

Best Answer

In the Texas Hill Country the horse fly were pretty bad some years. I found that if I spent about a half hour for 4 or 5 days killing the horse fly with a fly swatter that I would just about wipe them out in a 25 acre area. (It was a target rich environment) The horses would come running when they saw me with a fly swatter to get some relief. I would repeat this several times during July and August. It worked for me and others. Great activity for the kids, too.

How do you get horse flies off of you if they land on you?

By Justice

Best Answer

There is not much that will work. A good quality insect repellant with 30% Deet might work. You could also try the Thermocell insect repellent device. It works very well for mosquitoes and little flies, so it may work for horseflies.

I need a good remedy to get rid of horse flies.

By Lovita

Every summer close to the end of July and begining of August we are bombarded by horse flies when we want to enjoy the outdoors. We do not live on or near a farm. We do not have livestock. We are puzzled and would like to ask if you have some home remedies for getting rid of the flies. They are mean and bite. If we kill one, then fifteen comes to its funeral! Thanks for all your help.

Tina Kesler, OH

Answers:

Mouthwash, Ammonia, and Dishsoap

Cheap, effective and wonderfully scented. Go to a dollar store and buy Mint antiseptic mouthwash, lemon ammonia and lemon dish soap. Off brands work perfectly. Mix one part (I use the lid from the mouthwash) of each of the three liquids, into a 32 oz. spray bottle. Fill bottle to top with water. Spray everything (except animals and human) ie. grass, shrubs, lawn furniture, brick, wood, plants (it won't hurt them). You will be "flying insect" free for hours. Apply as needed.

By Jessica

Duct Tape

There is nothing I have found yet to rid you of them, but I find if I put duck tape inside out across the back of your hat they will get stuck in the glue. I have caught 5 in one afternoon working outside. Hope it works for you.

By P'Licious, Ontario

Lime

You can spread lime around on the ground and it will get rid of most all insects and flies, ants, etc.

By Deb

Does any one know how to get rid of horseflies? They are causing problems when we are in the pool. We didn't have any problems last year. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike from PA

Answers:

WD-40

I read in the farmers almanac a long time ago to use WD-40 and the flies will go away. Just spray it on. I also read on the internet to use it for arthritis and it works wonders for the pain. Don't know why but it does.

By Janette

Mouthwash

The horseflies are awful this year. Try spraying yourself with a small amount of mouthwash. It works for mosquitoes.

By mulberry204