Giving Baked Gifts

Category Baked Goods
Wrapped bread surrounded by sprigs of green.
Baked goods make great gifts for Christmas, birthdays and other special events. Edible gifts are not only delicious and come from the heart but can also be inexpensive.

Some of the most popular gifts I have ever given are the baked kind! Most people enjoy having something special to eat for the holidays. This is especially popular with the elderly or shut-in people.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I agree that baked goods can be special. So many folks don't have the time to bake. But I found myself getting bored making the same, albeit loved, baked goods each time. One summer at a yard sale, I found a cookbook from the 1950s. I made that my theme that year - everyone got sweets from that era.

I've gone with themes since then. I'm having fun, and everyone says they are getting a kick out of waiting to see what they will get. One year I did old recipes from Europe - and those were very different than modern American cookies! I have done cookies with just one country as the source. One year I used a Gingerbread cookbook to create all different kinds of Gingerbread - it was very different back in Medieval days! Then I packaged them in Gingerbread "bowls" to give. An idea I am mulling over is to do just 1 flavor - like lemon cookies, but with recipes from different countries.

It is fun to think up the ideas, learn a little of other languages, and create sweets that I, and most other folks I know, have never tasted! I give at least 2 of each cookie, wrap in clear wrap with an explanation run off on my computer printer, and fill tins or baskets I buy at yard sales all summer. Folks say they get a kick out of reading the little note about each sweet and then trying them and comparing opinions.

I like to think that the whole process brings me closer to them, and the families closer to each other.

I prepare jars of homemade lemon curd and mini poppy seed muffins as a gift.