Giving Books for Christmas

Category Gifts
Books are a gift that endures long after the Christmas meal is gone and the toys put away. They are a gift of imagination, knowledge, self improvement, and so much more. This is a guide about giving books for Christmas.

Birthdays, Christmas, Mother's Day, etc. All of our charity thrift shops sell used books, for children and adults, usually priced at $.50 for paperbacks and $1.00 for hardcovers. Our library does, too

I have to share this idea about recycling and gift giving. It was such a unique idea, that I have added it to my list of things to do.

One Christmas, the neighbor came over with gifts for the children. She handed each of them an envelope with their name on it. Loving the idea, that it wasn't some loud, obnoxious gift used to drive parents crazy later. Very curious, the children opened the envelopes one by one. Inside was a $20 with a note. On the note, the criteria and purpose of the $20 was written. The note said the following:

1. Set a date to spend a day with me

2. We will go to a used bookstore, so you can spend all of this money

3. Afterwards is lunch and ice cream on me

4. With each book purchased, you will be able to return it for future books at any time
How great is that? One little small gift, teaches so many lessons to our future generation. I later heard that the neighbor got so much joy out of watching the children run around trying to decide what they wanted purchase. Lunch afterwards was full of conversation about what they had gotten and what they planned to do when they went back.

I just can't imagine a better way to teach children to read, reuse, and recycle!

Books can be a wonderful, inexpensive gift or activity for a child. This is my two year old son Evan, looking at one of his favorites. It cost me all of a dollar at our local dollar store, and I can't tell you how many times he's "read" it!

Debra Frick0 found this helpful

Christmas is a time that sparks the imagination of all who celebrate. As parents we are always looking for things to do the same thing and books can do the trick. Here is an article about shopping in one of my favorite places in the whole wide world. The used, and yes I said used, bookstore.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Save postage on gifts that go long distance by giving gifts that qualify for media postage, which is much less than regular parcel post. Media postage can be used for DVDs, CDs, books, tapes, or movies, any information that doesn't contain advertisements can usually go media rate.

In the UK, an organisation called Healthy Planet runs free bookshops where customers can choose six books per person per day completely free of charge. I select a parcel of books according to their preferences, and spend the money that I would have spent on a present on getting the parcel delivered to them.

This is a guide about giving books as gifts. Books make wonderful, thoughtful gifts for the children and adults in you life.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes