Giving Christmas Gifts to Adult Nieces and Nephews

Knowing when it is time to stop gift giving to someone you love can be a challenge. This guide is about giving Christmas gifts to adult nieces and nephews.

At what point is it reasonable to stop giving Christmas gifts to adult nephews and nieces? When they marry? Have children of their own? Turn 25?

By Catherine from outside Boston, MA

Answers

In my family we gave gifts till the kids were 21.

I think it depends on how close you are to them and whether they always give you a gift. In my family, we would have large family Christmas parties where we would exchange names. The kids would get presents and the adults would each give one present to another adult. Later this was turned into more of a white elephant gift exchange but I liked the personal gifts best.

I agree. After they get grown, it's time to stop giving gifts.

Just say there's too many. We cannot afford all these gifts, good luck.

I think it depends on your relationship with each one. I'm 36, and I still send gifts to one of my aunts and one of my cousins (and his wife). I have plenty of other cousins, but don't send gifts (I send cards to only a few).

If you truly want to wish them happy holidays, but for whatever reason don't want to give them gifts, maybe you could just send them cards with a recent photo. A note can mean so much more than a token gift.