Growing Your Own Wedding Flowers

Category Flowers
Growing your own wedding flowers.
You can save a lot of money by growing your own flowers for your wedding. It also allows you to select exactly what you want. This is a guide about growing your own wedding flowers.

When my daughter got married we held the outdoor bridal shower at our house. I found the planter (shown here) in the basement. I cut the flowers for this arrangement from my yard and placed the planter just to the side of our door. It fit in nicely with the Hawaiian theme that we used.

Source: I took the picture and it was shown in the July/August edition of the National Home Gardening Club Magazine "Gardening How-To".

By Jackie from Enumclaw, WA

Question:

I want to grow my own flowers for my wedding next summer, preferably perennials. which I would start growing right away. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what kind of flowers would look best if you grew them yourself.

Jennyttt from Belle Plaine, MN

Answer:

Jennyttt,

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! Depending on the date of your wedding, growing flowers to bloom in time is going to be tricky. As you know, we Minnesota gardeners can be lying in the sun in mid-March only to find ourselves shoveling snow in mid-June. I would also recommend watching for what comes into bloom this summer about the same time you'll be tying the knot next summer. Maybe you'll see some annuals you can start indoors this winter or maybe even find some wildflowers you love. I would start at the University of Minnesota Extension Agency website. It's an excellent resource for growing flowers in Minnesota, including lots of color photos and a calendar featuring garden tours and events. The Minnesota State Horticultural Society also puts out a magazine called Northern Gardener. The Twin Cities has so many great gardens to tour-the U of M Landscape Arboretum, the Como Zoo Conservatory, and the Eloise Butler Flower Garden-just to name a few. It might be fun to plan an outing with your family or members of your wedding party to explore some of these gardens. They may even enjoy helping you grow your flowers.

Good Luck!
Ellen

I am getting married this July and am planning on growing my own flowers. I decided this in part to save money but also because I want a less formal feel to the floral arrangements. We have chosen to mainly use dahlias, along with paper flowers.

The plan is to grow some ourselves, with other family members each growing some too. The best part is we can select the exact colors that we want. Plus with multiple people growing them, we have some back up flowers if some don't grow.

By Laurel from Port Orchard, WA