Homemade Christmas Crafts

Category Christmas
This guide contains homemade christmas crafts. Homemade Christmas crafts are a fun and inexpensive way to decorate your house. They also are great gifts for someone special. Here are some fabulous homemade craft ideas!

This is a guide about homemade Christmas ornaments. Adding shiny store bought ornaments to your Christmas tree makes it look great. However, some of the most cherished ornaments you will have are the ones you and you family make.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about homemade Christmas cards. Card making is a very popular paper craft. This Christmas try sending beautiful handmade cards to friends and family. They will treasure the sentiment and the very personal touch.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Reuse an old angel tree top or cut out a large angel from a magazine or hand draw one. Cut out and glue to white card board. Make stars out of white poster board. Decorate stars with silver sparkle glue or use your imagination. Punch hole on top of star and at bottom of skirt. You can also use a stapler to attach string.

Write names of loved ones that have passed on across the star. Use yarn, heavy kite string, or thin ribbon to attach to the angel skirt. Hang in a window or on tree. I have substituted, Christmas trees, and hand made round ornaments, as well as bells. I have also made large stars and hung small stars with real bells attached to the stars. Handmade candles, with the names written at the base work as well. I started making these memory mobiles in 1969.

Source: I started my first mobile, 12/1969 to remember my great-grandmother. I missed her, so this way she was with me. Even at Christmas, her favorite holiday.

By Ellen from Knoxville, TN

For Christmas I make tons of crafts for family and friends. Does anyone have any ideas of crafts I can make before Christmas?

By mikayla

Answers

Best Answer

My mom makes plastic canvas items all year long and gives them to the ladies at church as birthday gifts. I've also seen some plastic canvas items at yard sales.

You can also go by a Hobby Lobby store for tons of ideas and supplies.

You could check out here: http://www.craftbits.com/

Best Answer

One Christmas, my boyfriend and I made candles as gifts for many of our friends and family. They were pretty easy to make and were well received.

I also often give jars of snack mix or flavored nuts, or plates of baked goods as a Christmas gift.

What's the best homemade Christmas gift you made or Christmas craft that you received this past year? I'm trying to get some ideas for next year.

Nancy from Milton, FL

Answers:

Homemade Christmas Crafts

I made a lot of jewelry, nothing overly fancy. Things people could wear everyday. I gave them to my son's teachers, relatives and friends, they were all so excited and loved them. You can get most of the supplies on sale throughout the year. I also made personalized stationary for those who write letters a lot. Then I made the pen flower pot, you put the green floral tape around the pen, then an artificial flower and glue it on top. I painted small terra cotta pots and modge podged pictures of my son on them. This was a good idea that people liked because it always seemed they were looking for pens around the house.

Good luck.

Kim
(01/15/2007)

By Kim

Homemade Christmas Crafts

My daughter made us all the fleece blankets where you tie strips all around the side and boy are they warm. I make baskets of goodies for everyone; brownie and cookie mixes, etc. I also took a wicker basket and put lights in it and then cinnamon scented pine cones. This puts a great scent in the air and is nice to look at year round. (01/15/2007)

By suzanne

RE: Homemade Christmas Crafts

Homemade Christmas Crafts

This gift wasn't homemade, but it certainly could have been and its the coolest thing, a crocheted or knitted scarf, with a pocket on each end. You wrap it once around your neck, starting at the front and let the ends hang down. The pockets are great for holding your cell phone or your sunglasses, or even some cash and your lipstick. Great for your kids outdoor sporting events and you don't have to carry a purse. The pocket itself is the width of the scarf, and about 6 inches deep. (01/16/2007)

By Lisa Mutton

Homemade Christmas Crafts

If you like to scrapbook, I made mini-scrapbooks inside little Christmas tins (found them at Wal-mart looked like little lunch pails with the Coca-Cola Santa on them). I tied a ribbon to the handle, so they could use it as an ornament for their tree and put photos of each Christmas in it as a keepsake. They are very easy to make. You just need card stock, and Christmas scrapbook paper to match and I used a little embellishment on the lid backed with the cardstock and scrapbook paper.

The teachers really loved them. You also can make these out of Altoids tins and decorate them for any occasion by using Modge Podge to protect the paper on the outside. If you have more questions, just let me know and I can explain more in detail. (01/16/2007)

By Lisa

Homemade Christmas Crafts

I received homemade peanut butter cups. They were so good. I do want to try the chocolate dipped spoons they seemed to be popular this year, too. (01/16/2007)

By Brenda

Homemade Christmas Crafts

I wouldn't say I made anything too exciting this year, but I had fun and the gifts only cost pennies. I used my computer to make small teacher gifts. I found sites that had free printables. I made candy bar wrappers, microwave popcorn wrappers, hot chocolate packet envelopes, tea and coffee envelopes and probably something else I'm forgetting.

My sister-in-law made our two children those fleece throws that are cut and tied around all 4 sides. She is not crafty either so they must be easy to make. They are so cute and our kids really like them and use them. (01/16/2007)

By Debbie Dzurilla

Homemade Christmas Crafts

Two weeks ago I made wreath-shaped ornaments from jigsaw puzzle pieces that I sprayed gold, and some fancy ribbon I had on hand. One puzzle made 24 ornaments. I am ready for next year. I did these 14 years ago in green with red holly berries and they were very well received, even by our business associates. They cost less than .50 each, even if you have to buy everything. Good luck. (01/16/2007)

By

Homemade Christmas Crafts

I made gift tags from old fashioned brown card luggage ties that tie on with string. I glued onto them cut up Victorian piano sheet music featuring the words to Christmas carols and showing the musical notes and writing on the reverse with gold gel pen or felt tip pen. They cost next to nothing, but looked fantastic. I also used spare sheet music and rolled each page into scrolls and tied them with red ribbon for tree decorations.

For each family I got some plain metallic glass balls/baubles and wrote on them with silver and gold marker pens the name of every person in that particular family and the year eg., Joshua 2006, Samuel 2006. That way everyone in the family had a personalized tree decoration.

Carol (01/16/2007)

By carol

Homemade Christmas Crafts

This year I made floor pillows for all 8 of my grandkids. I made them with material of their interest. For 2 of the granddaughters, I made them out of kitten material, one grandson was cars material, one grandson was Michigan material, the twin 11-year-old boys I put their names on them and the rest were different fleece and denim. They really loved them. It was really neat to have a living room floor covered with 8 grandkids laying on their own pillow, neat Christmas. (01/16/2007)

By Barbara

Homemade Christmas Crafts

I also had a cheap or inexpensive gift. I typed poems and sayings and printed them on pretty paper. I bound them with pretty ribbon. For the kids I printed off coloring pages and made them up the same way. One friend loves animals, exotic ones like chinchilla and rabbit and sugar glider. Anyway, I found poems about animals. I was the most proud of hers. She seemed excited. (01/16/2007)

By sandy

Homemade Christmas Crafts

I cut pretty pictures out of Xmas gift wrap and glued them on thin cardboard, painted the back of the cardboard, some took 2 or 3 coats of paint. Be sure to dry between each coat, then I decoupaged the pictures to the cardboard. Be sure to trim the pictures to fit the cardboard, and if you want you can also paint the edge of the cardboard, too. Then I sealed it with laminating paper, but first on the back I wrote, "When this you hang upon your tree, please take a moment to remember me.", then signed and dated it. Very cheap and easy to make, and everyone loved them.
Rose (01/16/2007)

By Rosa

Homemade Christmas Crafts

I bought some Gooseberry Patch books on clearance at their site. They have tons of ideas in them. You should check it out. (01/16/2007)

By Michele

Homemade Christmas Crafts

I stuffed clear Xmas balls with the crinkly paper; stippled with the "no fire" snow, leaving a clear area and then hung small ornaments on the inside. I made fleece tube hats, yarn covered hangers, but most and the best was donations to organizations: humane society, breast cancer foundation, etc. though my grandkids weren't too happy. It seems like we all have too much "stuff" and there are so many that have too little. (01/18/2007)

By pam froelich

Homemade Christmas Crafts

Well this past year, I kind of cheated and bought the fleece throws. I had problems with my back and couldn't get to cross stitch the names. A friend used her embroidery machine and did the names for my family on the blankets in cool colors, like purple blankets and gold letters for LSU. She put their names and the hunters got green with bright orange letters. I also did make candle holders with green tapered candles, with three candy canes glued curled side down at three equal sides to form the candle holder and you can burn it. I usually make an ornament and tie it to the top of the candle.

I like to make bath salts with equal parts of Epsom and sea salt. Adding essential oil of choice and coloring for soap making or bath salts. Mix well and let air dry. Place in jar containers or even small craft Zip bags for single or multiple use. This is a great gift. I have also made the soup in a jar and these recipes are readily found on the internet (here's one Soup Mix in a Jar Recipe; recipezaar.com.
And I purchased at the Dollar store soup mugs. This makes a great gift for family and other relatives, same with the cookie in a jar and include the extras there like potholder, cookie cutter if needed, bowl, etc. and place in the bowl. Use a Dollar Tree shrink wrap and it looks great, same with hot cocoa treats, etc.

Clay pot gifts are also cute, like an 8-inch pot painted brown, painted like a reindeer using a washer and bells in the hole with jute. Then paint a pair of wooden ears and glue on top, this would make a great gift. Spray or brush with urethane to preserve it.

Cross stitch in a corner on a bread cloth or paint on a cloth or sew a Christmas cloth and fray ends, buy a basket, make or buy some frozen bread rolls and bring that day to include for the gift. Gosh, almost can't stop, but I am going on and on. Hope some of these helped
Love and God Bless
Kay (02/08/2007)

By vk567

Homemade Christmas Crafts

I made little Turtle Plushies for my nieces for Christmas. They only cost about a dollar a piece to make. I made them out of felt and floss, then glued little googly eyes on them and drew a mouth with a marker. They are so cute. (11/04/2007)

By Nicole

Homemade Christmas Crafts

I made animal magnets for my nephew for Christmas this year. I used 66 cent paintable suncatchers from Wal-mart and acrylic paint. Then I cut magnet strips (also from Wal-mart) and stuck those on the back. They are big enough for him to hold and play with on the refrigerator without losing them or dropping them, plus they were cheap and cute. What better way to go than that. (11/04/2007)

By Samantha

Homemade Christmas Crafts

Christmas used to be the holiday in our family. Then we started becoming over-run with grandkids and I no longer could afford gifts for everyone. I felt so sad and brokenhearted. I thought for about a year or more, what could I do? And what meant so much to me when I was a kid. My dear old German grandma and aunt, could cook for God Himself and please Him.

Grandma, each year at Christmas, made this fudge recipe, that is dropped by spoonfuls. It makes over 100 pieces. And it's way better than any other I've ever tasted. So I thought, that's it. Grandma's fudge. That's what they all look forward to each year now. I just go to the Dollar store and pick up inexpensive plastic "tins" and fill em up. Of course, I've branched out making other little goodies also. But it's always the fudge that gets the rave reviews. (05/12/2008)

By Cynthia Mullen

Homemade Christmas Crafts

I make gingerbread houses and chocolate sleighs using a chocolate mold, I fill the sleighs with cheap sweets. (11/22/2008)

By laura