Homemade Ice Pack

Yesterday, my 7 year old daughter fell and hurt her knee. Well, she loves an ice pack for all of her ailments so I got the cheap dollar store ice pack out and it was hard as a rock and hard to hold in the right place so since she had already destroyed my "good" squishy one by trying to see what was in it, we made our own.

I took a quart size generic ziplock bag and put rubbing alcohol and water not quite half full and froze it. I guess you could add food coloring for more interest. Anyway now we have a very, very cold squishy ice pack that conforms to all those odd parts that sometimes need ice.

By Ginger

Editor's Note: A reader mentions below that the rubbing alcohol could be toxic to a child. A better mixture might be water and vodka. That way it would be much less toxic if it broke or some of the contents dripped out. If you use this with a child, make sure they don't lick eat the contents or suck on the bag.

Susan from ThriftyFun