How to Make Pasta Christmas Ornaments

These adorable pasta ornaments can be displayed on your Christmas tree for years. This is a guide about how to make pasta Christmas ornaments.

I am in love with making these ornaments out of dry pasta. Some of my favourite pasta shapes to create with are penne and rotelle, but any variety can be used. Go ahead and experiment!

Total Time: 90 minutes

Yield: 3 ornaments

• dry penne and rotelle pasta
  • hot glue gun with glue
  • paints
  • paintbrush
  • glitter
  • string

1. To make the large snowflake ornament, glue 2 pieces of penne pasta together so it makes a downward pointing arrow shape.
  2. Continue to make more so you have four arrows in total. Only the backsides should have glue all over them.
  3. Take some rotelle pasta and glue them together in the shape of a cross.
  4. Now glue the penne arrows in the spaces between the rotelle.
  5. To make the small snowflake ornament, evenly glue 6 pieces of rotelle around 1 in the center.
  6. Glue 6 more pieces of rotelle evenly around the outside.
  7. To make the Christmas tree ornament, glue together 6 rows of rotelle with the top row having 1 rotelle, the bottom having 6 rotelle. Glue one under the last line as the tree trunk.
  8. To make the Christmas tree's ornaments, gently press on your hot glue gun to make tiny little balls of glue.
  9. Gently pick up all the ornaments to see if there are any areas that need more glue. Remember that only the backsides should have the hot glue on them; keep the front areas clean.
  10. If you're using paint with a brush, use the side of the brush to dab downwards on the pasta.
  11. Paint the tiny balls of glue and attach them to the tree as ornaments.
  12. If you're using spray paint, lay down some newspaper outside and spray from angles to get inside the the holes.
  13. Sprinkle on some glitter when the paint is almost dry. When fully dry, attach strings to the tops of the ornaments.
  14. Hang in your tree and enjoy!

Top Comment

You can get dozens of different shapes of pasta at the Bulk Barn quite cheaply. Make a kid safe glue from flour and water, and let the kids go nuts with gluing ornaments together. They can, of course, also add shells and anything interesting.

The best fisnish for pasta ornaments is spray or dip in chrome, silver color or bright zink paint, then when that is good and dry, a light coat of Candy Apple spray paint.

Candy Apple can be faked by mixing clear acrylic varnish with a bit of wine red acrylyc paint.
That makes the project washable.
Have FUN!
DearWebby

Top Comment

Really? All my first crafts as a child were all macaroni/rice/flour based :) I thought that was quite common around the world.

I donate to charities that serve the underprivileged but I don't give out handfuls of pasta that I already have in my house. I think as a homemade craft, using some dry pasta is sometimes better than opting for plastics, especially with today's problem with plastics washing up on shores in third world countries. I don't see a harm in using these guys! :)

Just my opinion. I am happy you shared your view on this!

Top Comment

Thank you! I think it's just fine to use food for crafts, too. I found a bag of peculiar random mixed pastas and beans sitting separately in my cupboard and thought some would work great for crafts. The beans are coming up in a future craft! Even if they were fresh, I probably would have just eaten it anyway. I don't really have the means to go and buy plastics and beads from the craft shop every time I want to get creative. My thoughts are constantly on global warming, too. Whatever I can do to help make things more biodegradable, the better. Plus, I love how these turned out and that alone rocks my world! Happy holidays!

This guide is about making pasta angel ornaments. Using different kinds of pasta you can create special ornaments for gifts or your tree.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1