Inexpensive Wedding Reception Locations in New York

Category Reception
Finding an inexpensive wedding reception venue in some areas can be daunting. This is a guide about inexpensive wedding reception locations in New York.

I am looking for a place where I can do my wedding. We are on a tight budget. It's for about 100 guests, if that.

By DGirlGray from Long Island, NY

Answers

Why not have it in your church and fellowship hall. Of course if all else fails have an outside wedding and pray for good weather. I'm sure there are a lot of parks that you can use for free or else a relative's yard.

I've often wondered why people don't get married as they did during the WW2 and Depression years. Get married by a justice of the peace with one or two couples as witnesses and maybe your parents [and kids?]. Have an informal gathering at your home or parent's home in the evening.

That's sort of a basic no frills wedding concept. Then add on from that or modify if your budget allows. Instead of looking at wedding costing 10's of thousands of dollars and feeling everything taken from that is something you might have had, start with the wedding above and anything else you can add is a blessing.

I'm looking for cheap reception sites in New York where I can also have the ceremony for my wedding. Any suggestions?

Racheal from Bronx, New York

Answers:

Inexpensive Reception Locations in New York

Although I am not from the East Coast, I know a lot of functions take place in the smaller communities at Independent Living Centers or Assisted Living Centers. They usually have beautiful reception areas for the meals. I went to another wedding at a Victorian home, rented per half day and very reasonable ($500). Best wishes! (10/30/2008)

By Carole

Buckley's Bar and Restaurant on Nostrand Ave and Ave S was the site of my cousin's wedding. It was much nicer than it sounds, and I am sure it is inexpensive. They have a private room. Good luck. (11/01/2008)

By daiquiri

I am getting married next year and have just begun to start the planning and I am having a hard time finding a place to have my reception. I am on a $5500 budget and really can't go over. Please help.

Thank You,
Esther11236 from Brooklyn, New York

Answers:

My recommendation is to think out of the box. Try to think of places that are usually NOT used for weddings. There are always neglected corners - There are lovely old cemeteries in Brooklyn - do any of them have chapels you might use?

We had our wedding in our NJ backyard & it was charming - Do you have a relative with a backyard they would lend you? The wedding market is used to being paid through the nose - if you are more eccentric you can save oodles of $ & have a unique wedding at the same time. (05/09/2006)

By pamphyila

For us, the best and most memorable place for the wedding and reception was my parent's home in front of the fireplace. The minister of our church really liked the idea and we said our vows in a wonderful comfortable homey atmosphere. Our reception was in the front yard and everyone ate and mingled while still having the sweet formalities that are part of a wedding.

People loved the wedding saying it was like an old fashioned country wedding. (And this was in the city). Have a wonderful marriage and enjoy planning your wedding! (05/10/2006)

By Bev

WOW BBMalone, I live in Brooklyn and my fiance lives in SI, we've been looking all over SI and LI, but are yet to find anything in the $50 pp range! Can you give some specific names? This would be really helpful! Thanks :) (06/04/2006)

By RG78

I am planing a 1st birthday party for my daughter It would be a small party for about 60-100 people. I need a place that will charge me not per person but overall. a place that will let me bring my own caterer and that wont cost me a lot of money. Location is in Staten Island, NY. If anyone one know any places please don't hesitate to help I'm planning this for either November 17th or 18th, 2007. (09/10/2007)

By Alejandra M.

Check out http://weddingsitesandservices.com . I was on the site last night, and there are LOTS of inexpensive rental places in Staten Island and the area. Just use the drop down box at the top of the page to select your area. (09/14/2007)

By TopherBook

You can try the VFW halls on Staten Island. You would have to decorate yourself and have food catered. There's the Kells-Grenie post, the Chichon post, the Knights of Columbus on Manor Road, the Knights of Columbus on Hillside Terrace. Also try your favorite restaurant. They sometimes they have private rooms to rent out. (11/09/2007)

By Cristina

There is also the Brooklyn Historical Society in Brooklyn Heights on Pierrepont Street. I was in a wedding in October, and the reception was held there, and holds up to 350 without full dinner tables. There were several rooms for food, mingling and the dance floor was a great size. I believe it's $3500 to rent the main room. (12/07/2007)

By RLA

I am planning a May wedding and want some inexpensive NYC places to hold the ceremony and reception. There will only be about 75 people so I want something intimate. Thanks.
Answers:
Parks 10/06/2004
I don't know NY but in the 70's my cousin got married at the Hiway Gardens in Missouri that is located on the Missouri State Fairgrounds here - they have a beautiful koi pond and a lot of plants - foot bridge and rock formations with bird houses all over the gardens! The trees have plaques saying what tree it is - a waterfall in the rock formations with little fountains for drinking and gazing! There are beautifully manicured walks and benches !

My niece got married in a park near KC - not sure if they had to pay a user fee or not

By melody_yesterday
Staten Island and Long Island Banquet Halls 03/29/2005
I'm from North Jersey and looked into comparably priced NYC weddings. For the best prices look into Staten Island and Long Island banquet halls. There you'll find many reception sites located relatively close to each other competing for brides. I've found 2005 high season weddings going for $50 pp (a steal in these parts) AND you get the works, like fancy place, valet parking, vienesse table, etc. Great options for us Jersey folks.
By BBMALONE (Guest Post)
Eastwood Manor 08/28/2005
There is a wonderful little place in the Bronx called Eastwood Manor. You can call information to get it, i will be getting married in july and we are having our reception there.
By ARMAND (Guest Post)