Keep Your Pumpkin from Spoiling

It is Jack-o-Lantern time! I always wait until the last minute to carve my pumpkin because it seems like it starts to rot the next day. I saw a special on TV where they immerse the cut pumpkin in a solution of water and bleach. You keep it in for a while and make sure it gets submerged and every cut surface is treated. Let it drain for a while. Just make sure you wear old clothes and use plastic gloves. I think Rubbermaid would be the best. I don't know the percentage of bleach to water, or how long to keep in the liquid. Before I have tried using salt and water or vinegar but the pumps didn't last any longer.

Source: TV special Extreme Hallowe'en I think it was

How would you dispose of it afterwards though? Some little animal might eat it after you throw it away. Sorry, I couldn't do this.
Marg.

I'm thinking the bleach becomes inert after it has done its job of killing off the bacteria or molds which would cause the pumpkin to rot. If you are giving your pets water from the tap you are giving them bleach as well. An alternative, though I don't know how well it would work, would be to use a vinegar and water solution instead.

Holidays and Parties Halloween Pumpkin CarvingSeptember 29, 2015
🎉
🎄