Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

I keep my brown sugar in the bag and it gets hard when I want use it for the next time. When I tied it and put it up in the cupboard, it still gets hard. What can I do?

Dorothy

Answers:

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

My Grandma always swore by a slice of apple in the bag. (02/12/2008)

By doodles

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

What works for me is my microwave. Put the whole package in the microwave on top of a pot holder and warm it up a couple of minutes. It will finally break apart and you can work the sugar with a fork while it's warm. Add another minute, etc. until sugar breaks apart easily. (02/12/2008)

By Myrna

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

Seems for different people different things work. For me I find air causes hardening within 1 week. If I suck out all the air, twist tie the bag and double bag it into a Zip Lock bag that has the air removed, it will last for several months and remain soft. If any air gets to it, I find it goes hard in less than 1 week. When I see my brown sugar starting to go hard, I simply add slices of apple, rebag and within 48 hours I have soft sugar again. (02/13/2008)

By Martha

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

I found some Terra cotta bears (made for this purpose) at a local kitchen store. I put one in each of my sugar canisters and salt canister, also. No more lumps or hardening. They're pretty inexpensive, about $2.50 each. It comes with directions too, as sugars and salts differ. Hope this helps. (02/13/2008)

By Darlene

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

The slice of bread works great I do it all the time. A slice of bread also works if your homemade cookies are too hard. (02/13/2008)

By Ann

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

I keep my brown sugar in the freezer. It takes a minute or two to become very soft and then I measure it and pop it back in the freezer. I have been doing this for years and have had no problems. (02/13/2008)

By Andrea

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

I put mine in a Tupperware container. Stays fresh forever.
(02/14/2008)

By rda