Low Income Apartments in North Carolina

Category Renting
Most cities have what is known as section 8 housing, for low income residents. You will need to contact Social Services or the Housing Authority in order to apply and get on the waiting list. Unfortunately the wait is typically quite lengthy. This is a guide about low income apartments in North Carolina.

How do I find an apartment in NC to rent on my social Security supplemental income? I am younger than 46 and I am widowed. I have 2 cats. My income is less than $426.00 per month only.

Eliza from Charlotte, NC

Answers

By Paula Jo Carr Mebane, NC (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Section 8 housing...every city has them. call your local social services department and they will help you. Only 30% of your income will be taken from you to pay for your rent & utilities (minus your phone bill and there is no air conditioning in the units unless you put a window unit in).

I draw SSDI too and that is what I had to do. The places are not fancy here but they are clean and warm in the winter.

Of course, the walls are very thin and you can hear everything that is going on next door, but generally folks are nice and turn their tv's down and try not to fight with the kids etc.

Good luck to you and GOD BLESS!

By CS Tewksbury (Guest Post)

See if your city has HUD housing It goes according to your income. Since you're drawing soc sec at a young age You no doubt will qualify.

Some accept pets but a deposit of 300.00 is required here in Michigan. Its worth checking into. Good Luck!

Check in phone book.for the local housing authority.

Hello and thank you for your replies. I have applied for public housing which is a 3-4 year wait here.
Eliza