Making A Dog's Halloween Costume

Category Costumes
Many dog owners like to dress their pets up for Halloween. This is a guide about making a dog's Halloween costume.

Note: I am a sewer, not professional but you should have some machine sewing experience to make this costume.

Materials:

Instructions

Our dog is only 6 1/2 pounds so you will have to adjust the pattern for your size dog. Measure around the widest part of the body and also the length of the back area. Cut your felt to wrap all around the stomach/back area, you will need to sew on an additional length (second piece of felt) to make it go all the way around. You will need a dart on the top center and two darts at the top back end of the felt, this gives it a better fit.

Next attach the Velcro strips to the ends (this part is on the under side or belly area). Cut the green ribbon in half and attach near the neck area to keep the felt in place on your dogs back. Once you get this, the rest is much easier, I promise!

Iron on interfacing to the yellow felt, covering it completely. Measure around your dogs head with a string in front of the ears. Now find a dish, cup or something round that is about 1/4 inch smaller around than the string to use as a circle pattern for the opening in the flower. Trace this circle in the middle of the felt then cut a straight line from an edge to this circle, cut out the circle.

Next fold your piece in half and cut around the edges "petals" about 2 inches from the center circle. Unfold and tweak if necessary. Sew a straight stitch about 1/3 inch from the inside edge then clip 1/4 inch cuts all around to allow for a snug fit around the head. Cut the yellow ribbon in half and attach one end to the corner edges to be tied and kept on the dogs head.

Using your leftover yellow, cut different size flowers, then pin them all over the back side of the green felt, place a button on top and sew by hand or a simple zigzag by machine, this will hold the flower and the button on. If you have a lady bug, she looks good on one of the face flower petals. Hopefully the photos will help but if you have questions let me know and I will try to help.

By NoRulesArt from Sunny Florida

I am trying to find a lizard (gecko) costume pattern for a small dog (XX-Small). Our local community is having a Gecko Fest and I would love to dress my 4# Chihuahua "Dixie" up as a gecko. Any suggestions?

By ChiwawaMom from St.Petersburg, FL

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

• White shirt
  • Plaid fabric
  • Wig
  • Red glitter paint

Instructions:

The white shirt is from the Salvation Army. The plaid fabric was also from the Salvation Army. The wig is a from a previous costume. Her leash was just painted with red glitter paint.

She also had a small pocket sewn in the side of the dress to hold a tape recorder that played the sound track to the movie.

By Kellee from Auburndale, FL

A Dog Dressed
as Dorothy from
the Wizard of Oz

Comment Like this photo? 13

Petey is 4 months old. He is a Boxer/Bulldog/Shepard mix. My best friend Todd gave him to me in August of this year. He likes to eat, play, eat, sleep, eat, play and some more.

I never enjoyed playing with dolls when I was little, but I get a real kick out of dressing my dogs for Halloween. This year I made a special costume for Petey because he is as big as a horse! I saw something similar to this online, but thought I could make one like it much cheaper, and I did. He didn't seem to mind it a bit either.

The adjustable velcro belt that runs around his middle will allow him to wear it even when he's full grown or to switch it out with one of my other dogs. Everyone thought it was such a funny costume and suited him perfectly!

By Donna from San Diego, CA

A dog dressed as a horse for Halloween

Comment Like this photo? 17

Here's a picture of my Son's dog Sadie dressed up for Halloween. She loves to dress up and last year she was a devil. We call her our doggone cowgirl.

Sadie the Cowgirl

By Shelly from Whitehorse, YT Canada

A dog dressed as a cowgirl

Comment Like this photo? Yes