Making Cinnamon Applesauce Christmas Ornaments

Category Ornaments
Your whole house will smell of apples and cinnamon when you make these baked dough ornaments. This is a guide about making cinnamon applesauce Christmas ornaments.

• 1 cup cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp. ground cloves
  • 1 Tbsp. nutmeg
  • 1 Tbsp. allspice
  • 1 Tbsp. ginger
  • 3/4 cup applesauce

Directions:

In medium bowl, combine cinnamon, cloves, allspice, ginger, and nutmeg. Add applesauce; stir to combine.

1. Work mixture with hands two to three minutes or until dough is smooth and ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
  2. Roll out dough into 1/4 inch thickness.
  3. Cut dough with cookie cutters. Using straw or pencil, make small hole in top of ornaments.
  4. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 150 degrees F for 1 hour.
  5. Remove from the cookie sheet and bake on the oven racks for another 1 1/2 hours.

Use to decorate gifts, hang on tree, etc.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ok, it's Christmas in July, er August! Make these and store them for Christmas or use them hanging in your car.

Directions:

Mol>

• Mix together and roll on lightly floured cloth till 1/8 inch thick.
  • Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters or a knife.
  • Use a knitting needle to put a small hole at the top of your ornament to place an ornament hanger later.
  • Cook in preheated 200 degree F oven until hard, about 1 1/2 hours.
  • By Christi

These are so much fun to make and they make your house smell just heavenly!

Total Time: 10-15 minutes

Yield: varies

• 1 cup cinnamon ($3.00)
    • 1 tsp ground cloves
    • 1 tsp allspice
    • 1 tsp nutmeg
    • 1 cup applesauce ($.75)

1. Mix ingredients to play dough consistency. Chill.
    2. Ad

3. Roll out and cut into desired shapes.
    4. Make a hole for hanging.
    5. Dry at room temperature.
    6. Note: Drying can take 1 or more days.

When making long lasting, nicely scented Christmas decorations with the kids, mix white school glue and lots of cinnamon (until you get a doughy consistency). Roll this out and use your favorite holiday cookie cutters to cut out shapes for ornaments! Make a hole in the 'cookie' with a straw, then bake in the oven at a low temp until the ornaments are dry. When rolling out your dough, use more cinnamon as the 'flour' you would otherwise use when rolling cookies for cutting. After the ornaments are dried, string colorful ribbon through the hole, hang and enjoy! I made my first set of these almost 20 years ago and I can still smell them!

If you don't want to dry them in the oven, you can sit them in a sunny window, undisturbed, for a week or more to air dry.

By Sherry from Greenville, OH

(Note: These are NOT to be eaten!) This is a very simple recipe and one that you will really enjoy!

Ingredients

Directions

Pour the jar of applesauce into a bowl and slowly keep mixing in cinnamon until it forms a dough. Sprinkle some cinnamon onto a cutting board or table and roll the dough out at least 1-2 inches thick. Using Christmas cookie cutters, cut out forms (I like gingerbread men the best for this!). Place forms on an ungreased cookie sheet and with the drinking straw, poke a hole on top. Bake on low (250 degrees F) for around an hour or until the forms become a little hard to the touch. Let cool. Tie ribbon through the hole and either hang your cinnamon ornament on your tree or use them on wrapped gifts!

Your kitchen will smell heavenly for days and the ornaments keep their wonderful smell of cinnamon well after the holiday season!

By Sheila from Bayonne, NJ

I am looking for the applesauce and cinnamon recipe to make Christmas cut-out ornaments.

Barbara from Springfield, IL

These are extremely easy to make and the results are so cute and Christmasy!

Mix equal parts of applesauce and cinnamon. (1 cup applesauce/1 cup cinnamon) Mix until a soft and perhaps sticky dough is formed.

Roll the dough out or press with hands until it is approximately 1/4 inch thick. Using your favorite Christmas cookie cutters, cut out as many shapes as possible and place them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Use a straw to cut out holes in the ornaments.

Let your ornaments set in a dry place for 2-3 days until they are dry and hard. Caution: They will still be fragile, so you should be gentle with them. Cut ribbon to the lengths you want and tie through the holes in the ornaments.

Your ornaments can be used for your tree or tied to the top of Christmas gifts. The scent should last up to 3 years!

Here are some of the ornaments I made. I used 2 cups cinnamon and 2 cups applesauce and I ended up with about 33 ornaments. I also added some pumpkin pie spice and nutmeg to enhance the scent. Instead of ribbons I used crochet thread and chain stitched my "ribbons."

By Janellio from PA

Answers:

Festive Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments

Several years ago my friend and I made a lot of these. In order to strengthen them, we added a little bit of Elmer's glue. I don't remember how much we used but I do know that it was not a lot. Good Luck!! (12/14/2007)

By matjat

Festive Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments

I like those, they are simple and they smell nice, it's a can't-miss! (12/14/2007)

By kimhis

Festive Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments

I made some of these this weekend. They are super easy and adorable! I love the idea of attaching them to gifts. (12/16/2007)

By Sherri

Barbara from Springfield, IL

Answers:

Applesauce Christmas Ornaments

I'm sorry that no one can just give you the recipe, its simple: 1 cup applesauce and 1 cup of cinnamon, you add a little nutmeg and allspice to really make it more spicy. Mix the applesauce and the cinnamon and spices until it gets to be nice clay consistency. If it's too sticky, you may add more cinnamon if needed. Sprinkle cinnamon on your surface when you start to roll it out, take your shapes and starting cutting. Put the shapes in a warm, dry spot to dry, this takes a few days. Oh, the beautiful fragance you will have through out the house. (12/20/2008)

By piwacket

Applesauce Christmas Ornaments

Here's another: 15 Tbsp. plus cinnamon; 12 Tbsp. applesauce. Blend cinnamon and applesauce together in bowl, mix well. Dough should be stiff, add more applesauce if dough does not stick together. Preheat oven to 150 degrees, cover work surface with wax paper; sprinkle wax paper and rolling pin with cinnamon. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut shapes with cookie cutters. Place cut-out shapes on cake rack, Bake till dry.

*Note: before baking, use a drinking straw to make a hole in the dough for hanging. (12/20/2008)

By piwacket

Applesauce Christmas Ornaments

This recipe was on my list to find, how timely. We are planning to do hearts from these on Valentine's Day. (01/04/2009)

By Mary

Applesauce Christmas Ornaments

Late Post but to answer your question. I think the reason some don't just give the recipe is that they might want to show people how easy it is to find it on Google and not here. I have seen people ask "what is Nutella. I have a jar and don't know what it is". Well, everyone was trying to be kind but the reality is it's right on the label. Some folks don't do computer searches often, and those who do are just trying, perhaps, to be helpful and let them see how much more they can discover if they try google first. But, that's just me... (01/04/2009)

By Poor But Proud

How do you make ornaments out of applesauce?

Lisa from Springfield, MA

Answers:

Applesauce Christmas Ornaments

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1822,154180-246207,00.html (12/13/2007)

By theseamstress

Applesauce Christmas Ornaments

Here are some instructions that we just posted on ThriftyFun:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf91956538.tip.html (12/14/2007)

By jess_admin