Making Halloween Potato Pumpkins

Category Halloween
These cute pumpkins are not only fun to make you can enjoy them for dinner as well. Try adding sweet potatoes for color. This is a guide about making Halloween potato pumpkins.

Halloween is coming. This is a fun recipe/craft to make with some ingredients you've already got laying around the kitchen. They're so cute to look at and a treat to eat! I used potatoes but you can use a mix with sweet potatoes, too, for added colour.

Total Time: 1 Hour

Yield: 8 mini pumpkins

Source: My crafty mum :)

• 1/2 lb potatoes
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 egg yolk, divided
  • 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp water
  • almond slivers

1. Peel and dice potatoes. Boil in large pot of water until softened. Drain well and mash.
  2. Mash them together with the butter, sugar and 1/2 of the egg yolk.
  3. Divide into 8 balls and wrap individually in plastic wrap. Place them in the refrigerator until they firm up in about 30 minutes.
  4. Preheat oven (or toaster oven, that's what I used) to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap. Make little indentations around the sides of each with a spoon handle.
  5. Brush the remaining 1/2 egg yolk over the mini pumpkins. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
  6. Mix cocoa powder with a few drops of hot water and draw some jack-o-lantern features on your pumpkins. I used a toothpick. Press in some tiny almond slivers on the tops to imitate pumpkin stems. Enjoy!

I love these, thanks for sharing! I may make them for Thanksgiving instead of mashed potatoes, since they are already mashed.

How on earth do you use HALF of an egg yolk, I'm wondering!