Making Milkweed Christmas Ornaments

Category Ornaments
Milkweed pods can be used to make a variety of cute ornaments. This is a page about making milkweed Christmas ornaments.

It's not too late to scan your woods for dried materials to use in crafting. In western PA, I discovered a treasure trove of milkweed pods this year and have found the teardrop shape lends itself to many things. My college daughter points out that I am also being very "green" with this project. You may be able to find other types of pods that would work in your area. You can do this assembly line style and complete many in a short time. Use a hair dryer to speed up the paint drying time.

Approximate Time: 30-45 minutes

Instructions:

By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This one is easy enough for kids. It's cheap and quick so kids in Scouts or groups can make several for gifts. I wrapped mine, using red and white tulle which comes on a roll. I closed the ends with tinsel pipe cleaners and added beads on the end. You could use curling ribbon, too, but the pipe cleaners are faster. Makes a nice presentation and the person can see your project if they don't feel like opening it this minute.

Approximate Time: 10 minutes

*If you don't have time to dry the projects before completing, use cotton or fiberfill for the hat and mustache.

**They now have paint with the diamond dust right in there - a lot less messy than sprinkling on glitter, but less fun!

Instructions:

By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I used milkweed pods from the woods around my house for this ornament idea. You may have other types of pods in your area or you may be able to find something similar in the dried flower section of the craft store.

Milkweed Ornaments (Shadow Pods)

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This project, using milkweed pods, is a little tricky and probably more suitable for adults or teens. It is somewhat time consuming because of all the paint drying time, unless you leave it natural (see photo).

Milkweed Ornaments (Angel Pods)

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Crafts Christmas OrnamentsOctober 28, 2012
🐛
🌻
😎
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Milkweed-Christmas-Ornaments.html