Making Plastic Bottle Cap Christmas Ornaments
This is a guide about making plastic bottle cap Christmas ornaments
. You don't necessarily envision cute Christmas ornaments when you look at plastic bottle caps. But add some paint, glitter, sequins, ribbon, and beads to create these adorable ornaments.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Upcycling makes me so happy. I had so much fun making these ornaments from plastic bottle tops. Don't get me wrong; I love beautiful ornaments, especially vintage hand-me-downs. But there's something super special about making your own from scratch. I decorated the caps using scraps from my leftover craft supplies, so these cost me next to nothing!
I used regular water bottle caps and larger sports drink caps for these ornaments.
Total Time: 1 hour plus dry time
- plastic bottle caps
- spray paint
- hot glue gun with glue
- white glue
- hole punch tool
- Spray paint the exterior portions of the caps. Allow to dry.
- For the ornament hangers, cut a piece of string about 8 inches long, then double/triple knot the ends to make a loop. Make one loop for each ornament.
- Place the knotted end of the loop inside the middle of a small bottle cap and hot glue it down.
- Add a thin line of hot glue all around the lip of the bottle cap, then place another small bottle cap on it and hold closed.
- To give some sparkle to the exterior of the ornament, put it on a plate or pan with edges to catch debris. Apply a nice, thick layer of white glue to any areas you'd like the glitter.
- Immediately sprinkle the glitter on. Shake excess off.
- Grab a sequin with your tweezers and dip the backside onto the top of the glue bottle to grab a small dot of glue.
- Gently drop the sequins down to make designs. Allow to dry.
- To make larger ornaments, glue together two larger caps.
- Glue a small cap on top.
- Take another small cap and pierce the middle with a hole punch.
- Thread it with one of the string loops from earlier.
- Add a blob of hot glue on the inside of the hole to seal shut.
- Glue stringed cap onto the other side, which is now the top.
- Glue some ribbon around the sides of the ornament.
- String a bead onto the top of the ornament.
- Decorate some others, dry, and hang!