Making Tabletop Christmas Trees

Category Decorations
Small handmade Christmas trees are perfect for a tiny apartment or for any number of places in your home or office where you wish to add a festive decoration to celebrate the season. This is a guide about making tabletop Christmas trees.

This is a guide about making a toothpick Christmas tree. Make a spiky toothpick Christmas tree decoration for you home.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 3

This is a guide about making recycled paper mini trees. Use leftover, wrapping paper, scrapbook paper, or other decorative paper to make cute mini tree decorations for the holidays.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about making yo yo Christmas trees. Christmas fabric yo yos can be used to make a variety of Christmas tree craft projects.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

Approximate Time: 1 hour

Supplies

• green Styrofoam cone
  • craft leaves
  • small round paper box
  • decorations of choice
  • glitter paint
  • white paint
  • hot glue

Instructions

1. Glue the small round paper box to the bottom of the Styrofoam cone for the trunk.
  2. Cut the metal stems off of the craft leaves, leaving about a half an inch.
  3. One row at a time, insert the metal stems straight into the Styrofoam cone and then hot glue down. The larger your cone the more leaves you will need.
  4. After all the rows have been added, shape the tree by bending the leaves until you have your desired shape.
  5. Paint the tips of the leaves with glitter paint and/or white paint.
  6. Hot glue on the decorations of your choice. I used tiny pinecones, two tiny doves, the beads from holiday picks that I cut apart, and a star for the top.

By Lynn from Albany, NY

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

At Christmastime when you are making bows for various places in your home or outside, save all the scraps of the ribbon that you use. Use them on a small table top Christmas tree that would be for a tablescape.

For those of us who sew and buy the large cone shaped spools of black and white thread, keep the empty spools. They make great tabletop Christmas trees for the holiday season.

Rolled sheets of newspaper can be arranged and glued together to create a delightful recycled tabletop sized Christmas tree. This is a guide about making a newspaper Christmas tree.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a foam cone poinsettia tree. Starting with a foam crafting cone and some fabric poinsettias you can make a beautiful holiday decoration.

Does anyone remember making Christmas trees out of old telephone books?

Kat

Answers

By Terri (Guest Post)

Boy, I sure do! I haven't thought about that in years. Only, I don't think we used phone books - too many pages where I grew up. We used magazines, but I am sure it is the same process.

Happy Holidays!

By mia (Guest Post)

So how is it done? Does anyone know how to do it, or does anyone have a picture of it?
thanks!

I thought we had instructions here on ThriftyFun but haven't been able to find them. Here are some instructions but they don't have a picture of a finished one:

http://www.robe  hristmastree.htm

I remember making them from Reader's Digest Magazines. Back then I only liked the jokes anyway. Here is a website with instructions to do it

http://www.rd.c  -christmas-tree/
although I recollect also folding up the bottom to make the "tree stand" and then painting it brown or black. But the solid gold looks nice too.

Like the other responder, our telephone books were too large for such a craft.

By Tina (Guest Post)

I am sure I remember making a different variation of this in grade school. We did use a magazine, but we cut out the shape of pine tree branches - like a flat half of a tree. Then when you folded it back on itself it fanned out and looked like a tree (with no trunk of course, or it would fall over LOL). I remember it was spray painted gold as well.

Tina - Oshawa, ON

For Mia, who wanted to know how this was done: you simply fold the pages, including the covers, in half on the diagonal(top left corner to bottom right corner). When completed the front and back covers were taped together and it formed a cone shape. Then we would spray paint them green, then add glitter, those little lick-and-stick stars, etc....

Always a little gold star on top. These were made with the old Reader's Digests which had square pages made of thick paper and cardboard covers. I don't think any of today's magazines would work. If you know of one that would please post it. I'd love to make one of these again!

By nellio (Guest Post)

I remember doing this with Reader's Digests in school, but we made them into Angels instead of trees. You just put a foam ball for the head and a pipe cleaner halo and some sort of wings.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Spray a tomato cage gold for Christmas. Turn it big side down, tie the legs together with wire or a twist-tie at the top, and there's a quick and easy tabletop tree.

By blindquilter from Front Royal, VA

Tomato cage tabletop Christmas tree.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes