Making Wooden Halloween Letters

Category Decorations
Decorate wooden craft letters to spell out a fun or spooky Halloween word. This is a guide about making wooden Halloween letters.

I made these customized letters for my fireplace mantel. I love how they turned out!

• wooden letters
  • paint
  • paint brushes or sponge brushes
  • sandpaper
  • Modge Podge
  • scrapbook paper
  • scissors
  • pencil
  • crafting knife

1. Use a fine grit sandpaper and gently sand any rough edges on the letters.
  2. Trace around each letter, onto the back of the scrapbook paper. Be sure to account for the patterns on the paper, so that you get the design that you want when you cut out the letter.
  3. Ad

4. Cut out each letter using scissors or a crafting knife. Note: I found a crafting knife to be the easiest to use, especially for curves and small spaces. I also found that the blade needed to be new and sharp for good cuts.
  5. Paint all sides of each letter. I recommend applying a second coat.
  6. Ad

7. Brush on a liberal amount of Modge Podge onto the front of each letter and adhere the corresponding paper letter. Gently smooth out any bubbles and press down firmly. I laid them upside-down, weighted down with soup cans, and allowed them to dry overnight. Once they are dry, you can trim off any overhanging paper, with the crafting knife.
  8. Apply thin layers of Modge Podge to the front of each letter. Follow the label instructions for applying multiple layers. You can apply Modge Podge to the sides of the letters, if you desire.
  9. Ad

10. Use poster putty (or museum putty) to help hold the letters up or mount them to a piece of wood for a more permanent option.