Making a "BOO" Pumpkin Sign
You can make easily this colorful Halloween project at home and have a unique, reusable seasonal decoration. This is a guide about making a "Boo" pumpkin sign
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Get ready for Halloween with this awesome 3-D sign! It was a great way to use all of those cool Halloween scrapbooking papers that I keep buying with no project in mind.
- small foam pumpkin
- paper mache letter "B"
- stretched canvas
- Halloween scrapbooking paper
- Modge Podge
- glossy black acrylic paint
- glossy orange acrylic paint
- glitter paint, optional
- E6000 glue
- knife or small saw
- paint brushes
- decorative tape, optional
- crafting knife
- cutting mat
- Use a sharp knife or small saw to cut the pumpkin in half. Note: In the event that a piece comes off while cutting, simply glue it back in place (as shown below).
- Paint the pumpkin orange and the stem black (or brown if you prefer). Apply as many coats as needed.
- Paint the letter B black, applying 2-3 coats. I also applied a coat of glitter paint.
- Paint the edge of the canvas black. Make sure to come up over the edge a little bit, so that the white of the canvas doesn't show when the paper is trimmed.
- Cut the Halloween paper into varying width strips. Arrange them into a pattern you like. I recommend leaving the paper longer than the canvas, you will trim it off later.
- Use a brush to apply Modge Podge to the canvas and begin attaching the strips of paper.
- I found that applying a coat of Modge Podge to the tops of the paper strips, while I was also attaching new strips was helpful to hold them down. Then apply 2-3 coats of Modge Podge to the whole surface, following package instructions. Allow Modge Podge to dry thoroughly before continuing with the next steps.
- Turn the canvas over and use a crafting knife to trim off the overhanging paper. I decided to add a stripe of decorative tape along the top and bottom. Then I added one more layer of Modge Podge.
- Apply E6000 glue to the backs of the letter B and the pumpkin halves. Adhere them to the canvas. Allow the glue to thoroughly dry before hanging it up.
October 20, 20161 found this helpful
This decorative Halloween sign takes a little bit of time but is well worth the effort. Learn how to make it in this short video.