Making a Candy Corn Pot Holder

Category Decorations
A cute pot holder is a perfect way to get you kitchen in the Halloween spirit. This is a guide about making a candy corn pot holder.

I thought it would be fun to have a Halloween themed potholder. A candy corn shape popped into my head and after a trip to the fabric store this is the result. I think it is so cute I will probably make some more.

Total Time: 1.5 hours, including creating templates

• scrap cardboard for templates
  • pencil
  • ball point pen
  • white, orange, and yellow fabric - I chose Halloween prints.
  • cotton batting
  • thread
  • scissors
  • seam presser, optional
  • sewing machine

1. Draw the outline of your candy corn on a piece of paper. Mine is 9 inches tall and 8 inches wide at the widest point right above the curve at the bottom. I went for one that is a bit chunky.
  2. Trace the template onto the cardboard and cut out.
  3. Use the full template to trace onto your backing material. Cut one piece of your backing.
  4. Cut the three sections of the original paper template apart.
  5. Trace the pieces onto cardboard, adding a 1/4 inch stitching line to the bottom of the top piece, top and bottom of the center piece, and the top the the bottom piece.
  6. Using a pen or fabric marker, trace the pieces onto the white, orange, and yellow fabric. Cut the pieces out.
  7. Pin and sew them together, easing a bit if necessary. Finger press or use a bone seam presser to get seams to lay flat. Clip curves. Press when fully assembled, if desired.
  8. Cut a 2 x 4 inch piece of fabric. I used the backing fabric. (I also made a cardboard template.) This will be your hanger.
  9. Fold the rectangle in half lengthwise and finger press. Now fold each long edge toward the center line. Finally, fold in half lengthwise again. Pin and sew close to the edge. Set aside.
  10. Cut two pieces of the batting.
  11. Fold the hanger in half and place the cut edges in the seam allowance with the loop inside the potholder between the two fabric layers. With right sides of the front and back together and the two pieces of batting on top, pin and stitch the four layers together. Leave an opening, of approximately 2 inches, for turning.
  12. Clip the curves.
  13. Turn right side out.
  14. Turn in seam allowance at the opening, pin, and blind stitch closed. Now press the finished potholder.
  15. Finally, topstitch around the outside edge, if desired.

Awesome!

Love it!

Anonymous

Too cute!!!!

Love it!!!