Making a Christmas Wreath

Category Crafts
Rather than buying your Christmas wreath this year try making one. It can become a family tradition and they also make a thoughtful gift. Let your imagination go and create a unique wreath for this year and beyond. This is a guide about making a Christmas wreath.

Whenever I am on vacation or when I visit parks, beaches, or even just local walks, I love to collect pretty plants, pods, shells, etc. So this year I decided to glue my natural treasures onto a dollar store wreath and display them!

Just a simple tacky glue project, but I love the natural look and it serves to remind me of treasured walks with my loved ones.

Good project for children too!

If you'd like something a little out of the ordinary hanging on your front door this winter then this wreath is just for you.

Crafting Time: about 1 1/2 hours for a 12 inch wreath

Materials

Instructions

1. Cut the tulle into 2 - 3 inch squares. They do not have to be exact.
  2. To attach the tulle to the wreath, gather all four corners of a square together and stick a straight pin through them. Push the pin into the foam wreath form. Continue in the same manner and attach all the little "puffs" to cover the front of the wreath form.
  3. To make the bow, wrap the ribbon around a 7 onch piece of cardboard. Slide the ribbon off the cardboard and wrap wire around the center of the ribbon loops. Separate each loop to make a full-looking bow and attach the bow to the wreath with wire.
  4. Ad

5. Use additional wire to make a hanger for your wreath.
  6. Nestle small gold balls into the tulle around the wreath and glue them in place.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

I made these mini-wreaths for Christmas this year. I use the rims of two plastic yoghurt containers facing each other, then wrap natural string around the entire circle. I then go out into nature and start collecting things to glue onto my wreath. This one I used immature pine cones. In the second picture, I used the bottom of the same yoghurt container as my base. I decoupaged green plaid paper onto it then hot glued the same little pine cones making a wreath shape. Originally I wanted to make fridge magnets out of these but they were really too heavy so I added a string to hang them with.

By lisingreece from Greece

Find a pine tree with branches close to the ground. Cut enough branches for you to make a wreath. Make a circle base with the branches and then build on with other branches. I used twine to bind the wreath, you can use craft wire or even ribbon. Break out your old Christmas decorations and decorate the wreath any way you like.

I love to hang wreaths all around my home for the holidays. I decorate with any and everything!

Tip one - hot glue! Glob it on your items and stick them to the live greens!

Tip two - spray paint! I spray the entire wreath with clear. It helps it to last longer (mine stay up and green all year long inside the house) and it adds a great glossy shine to the cut holly, greens, cones, and other decorations! I use other color paints as well, such as gold, burgundy, etc. to add color to the items I pick from my yard, seed pods, dried flowers, sticks, that I glue to my wreaths to add interest.

The best tip of all three, use any and everything on your wreath. A little gold spray transforms most anything! Happy decorating!

By Hali from EB, NJ

This is a guide about making a snowman wreath. Make a cute snowman wreath to decorate your home for the winter holidays.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

I took this and that and made a nice wreath for our front door. You will never be able to duplicate this, but with your creations you can make your own "recycled reath"!

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about making a paper plate Christmas tree wreath. Here is yet another cute craft that begins with the humble paper plate. You and the kids can make this fun decoration for the holidays.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Handmade Christmas Wreath. A couple years ago, I needed a new Christmas wreath for the front door. Being frugal, I wanted to see if I could make one just as nice but more inexpensively than new.

Take lace 12 inches long and fold over 1/4 inch and sew the seam. You can slip 5 inch pipe cleaner through it to make a wreath. Then make a bow with pearls, cut about 6 inches and then add a red ribbon bow and a small rose. Voila, homemade gift!

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

A paper Christmas wreath can easily have lights added to it creating a lovely glow around the wreath. Learn how to make a lighted paper Christmas wreath that can be used as a decoration or a gift.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a giant Christmas wreath. If you have an area outside where you can mount a large holiday decoration it would be fun to make your own giant Christmas wreath.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a Christmas wreath with a Hula Hoop. Using a Hula Hoop as the form, you can make a large outdoor wreath for the holidays.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

CDs lend sparkle and shine to a homemade holiday wreath. This is a guide about making a CD Christmas wreath.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a paper poinsettias wreath. The poinsettia motif is popular for holiday decorations. Make a pretty paper poinsettia wreath for your home or office.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have never been one to do crafts but I find myself this year wanting to make a Christmas wreath. I have no idea where to start. All I really know is I would like to make it cheaply and easily. I figured I could buy one of those $5 Walmart plain green wreaths and start from there. Any help or ideas would be wonderful. Thank you.

Answers

http://www.make  s/christmas.html

By Penni Hillsborough, NC (Guest Post)

I started making home made wreaths 2 years ago. I had never made them before until then because I thought it would be too hard. These are easy to make! I re-used a wreath frame from a previously purchased wreath and just took the trimmings out. I'm sure you can purchase a wire frame at the craft store.

While purchasing my tree at the farmer's market, I picked up more of the tree pieces that were cut off, for free! Gather up the pieces and using pliers, snugly tighten the frame piece around the pieces. I zip tied the pieces together first, and then strapped them to the frame. Do this all around the frame. Last year, I used pine cones sprayed blue and white with glitter and hot-glued them on the wreath, along with a blue and white snowflake decorated ribbon.

The year before was red and gold themed, with apples, pears and the like, with a red ribbon. Use your imagination! It may sound hard, but I am craft-challenged and was able to make it easily. Good luck, and Happy Holidays!

By Doris (Guest Post)

I use wire to attach live greenery I have collected from fir trees. I wire each branch piece on and go around my form, attaching the greenery as I go, making sure each piece is well attached. You can also use artificial greenery. After attaching the greenery, I then wire or hot glue on my decorations, add a large bow and presto all done!

I love the look of different sizes of silk pointsettia, traditional red or pink, silver gold. Wired bunches of balls in coordinating colors would look nice too and put a huge but simple wired ribbon bow at the top of the wreath(I always do this first) then wire or hotglue flowers with ball bunches in between around the rest of it. Spray snow looks nice after its done as a final touch. I made a pink and white one like this with silver balls that so pretty that my mom snapped it up for her door before I could use it on mine!

You can buy all sort os little wreath decorations at the dollar store to decorate the wreath with. If you want to cover it with something, nurseries sell cedar very cheap and it smells so good.

By Elaine Johnson (Guest Post)

I make wreaths with vines-wild grapevines, honeysuckle vines (wild Japanese honeysuckle is everywhere here, a real pest!) or Kudzu vines. Strip the leaves off and hold it together in a circle and commence to twine the vines around each other. Be sure to use while green so the vines are pliable. Use pieces easy to work with and tuck ends in at beginning and end. When you have the wreath the size you want you can attach greenery, Christmas decorations, ribbon, etc. as you want. I like to twine the ribbon around and attach a fluffy bow and attach a swag of Christmas decorations. You can find ribbon and decorations at walmart, the dollar stores. I like to pick them up after Christmas when they are marked way down and save them for the next year. You can also put dried flowers or anything else on these wreaths for any holiday or year round decor. You can make them rustic/country or chic, just use your imagination. The materials are out there free!

I made my 1st Christmas wreath last year. I bought one of the $5 craft wreathes from Wal-Mart & the little Christmas stick bush-type decorations from the dollar store (fruits, tiny packages, tiny tree ornaments, etc)--the ones that are 2 for $1. Then I gathered large acorns from our downtown square & pinecones from the schools yard. I lightly sprayed the pinecones with clear adhesive & rolled the tips in different colored glitters. I reinforced the caps of the acorns with glue (the nuts WILL fall out of the caps) & I took colorful oak leaves & ironed them between waxed paper to preserve the color & trimmed the waxed paper really close to the leaves. I arranged everything on the wreath before hot glueing it into place. I took apart a clothes hanger to make a hanger for the door. My wreath turned out really colorful & I've gotten a lot of comments on it. I spent less than $15 on it & I've seen some really EXPENSIVE ones that aren't nearly as nice! For years I've made pine cone ornaments for my Christmas tree by leaving either plain (which I like better) or spraying with glue & glitter or gold paint--tie a pretty, narrow ribbon into a bow & secure it to the pine cone with a decorative thumbtack at the stem end--very pretty!

I'm with Elaine on one of the above posts. I wait until after the holidays and all the decorations are marked down 90%, you can pick up the "makins" for a dozen wreaths for less than five bucks. I make them in my spare time during the year and give them to friends or neighbors when folks start doing their holiday decorating.

You could make your own form for next to nothing. on a piece of plywood lay out a circle with a compass such as a piece of string, nail in the center and pencil. put a hole every 5 or 6 inches and put pegs in them. then just weave the old grape vines, honey suckle vines, just about anything that's pliable around the form making sure that the ends are tucked in snugly. When it's done just lift it off of the form. you could probably use a bucket too.

I want to make my own wreath this year. I looking for original ideas with materials I can find. Does anyone have any good wreath making ideas or sites for wreath making?

Shawn - Santa Rosa, CA

Answers:
Theme Ribbon 12/05/2000
When we make our own we first look for a "theme" ribbon to use on the wreath and go from there. Found one with gingerbread men all over it and made salt dough cookies to decorate the wreath. Last year I found a cute snowman ribbon and used different snowman ornaments and lightly sprayed the wreath with "snow" after adding mini lights and before adding the ribbon and ornaments. Good luck! (oh, I also usually plan ahead and buy the items for next year's wreath the day after Christmas at the sales to save even more.)

Ideas 02/25/2001
If you can, find a few people who are getting new trees "this year" and take their old trees.

Get the clipper, snipper or trimmer that will take the thing apart in the biggest chunks available, and affix the parts onto a wreath ring.

I heard of a woman who made a giant wreath to put on her barn, she used all artificial throw-away christmas trees.

The only thing she bought was the "giant" ribbon. Her husband welded her a wreath ring of the appropriate size. I think it was 7 ft across.

By raptorrunner
Board Frame 07/03/2005
Try making a wreath from river stones and sea shells. This is a very unique wreath that be used any where for an outdoor beach feel to any room or cottage.

Using the board wreath frame makes it easier to complete and it looks amazing when using a bit of natural supplies from around the forest or ocean.

By Jamie Gatt (Guest Post)
Iron-on Backing 09/05/2005
I use a combination of iron-on backing and fabric finish on different fabric cut-outs to add a really unique look to the wreaths i do.
By linda (Guest Post)