Making a Coconut Fiber Christmas Tree

Category Decorations
Fiber from the inside of a coconut husk was used to create this rejuvenated faux Christmas tree. The greenery was cut back and the fiber used to replace it to make an island Christmas tree.

Christmas is drawing near and I decided to pull down our Christmas tree to get it ready to use. The tree is very old and is made from wire and some sort of fake green stuff on the branches. It looked terrible and I decided to go check on a new tree for this year. The trees they sell on the island are very expensive and they actually don't look much better than the one I have. I came home and decided to fix up my tree for Christmas this year. I wanted a more natural tree and a more down to earth look. I went in the back yard and found all the coconut husks that we save to make planters out of and starting removing the coconut fiber from the husk. I wanted to make a coconut fiber Christmas tree for my home this year.

Total Time: 40 Hours

Yield: 1 Christmas Tree

• 1 old faux Christmas tree
  • 20 coconut husks
  • hot glue gun
  • 20 large glue sticks
  • scissors

1. Start by getting your coconut fiber ready. This is the hardest part. You will need to remove the fiber from the inside the husk of the coconut. To do this easily I used a flat head screwdriver to pry the fiber loose.
  2. Take one branch from the tree and cut off all the green plastic that is on the wire. You do not have to remove all the green plastic from the wire. You can leave some of it. Just try and cut off the longer pieces. It is a good idea to leave a bit there to make it easier to glue the fiber on the tree.
  3. Advertisement

4. Start to separate your fiber and make a nice long package that will wrap around the branch of the tree. Fiber is great because you can put it together and it will still stick to each other.
  5. Take your hot glue gun and put a small line of hot glue down the top of the wire so that you can glue the coconut fiber to the branch of the tree. You will now need to wrap the coconut fiber around the wire and hold it in place with the glue. I found out that once you get the fiber in place it is a good idea to hold onto the branch and wrap it around or twist it around so you make sure all the fiber is sticking to the branch of the tree.
  6. Advertisement

7. You will need to do this to all the branches of the tree. This will take time and it can be very messy. It is a good idea to do his outside to make cleaning up a lot easier. When you pull the coconut apart you will see that there is a lot of small brown stuff that falls off.
  8. As you complete each branch add it to the base of the tree. You will also need to cover the base of the tree with the coconut fiber to make it look better. When you are done, you can arrange the branches of the tree. I used a burlap table runner to cover up the stand. I also used the small coconuts that fall from the tree to make the decorations for the tree. I took an old angel that I had and added coconut fiber to the angel to make the top of the tree. I also used coconut fiber material to make my Christmas angels to sit on the tree. If you want to make this look more like a Christmas tree you can take green spray paint and paint the coconut fiber. I prefer the natural look and it looks great with a set of blue LED lights on the tree.
  9. Advertisement

I absolutely LOVE your crafts with the coconut fiber! I live in Southern KY so not many coconuts, but I may buy some and try making something with them.

Thank you so much. Coconut is a big part of life here on the islands. We use coconuts for so many things.

Crafts Christmas DecorationsJanuary 16, 2020
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-17 23:07:13 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️