Making a Felt Christmas Light Garland

Category Decorations
This is a guide about making a felt Christmas light garland. This festive Christmas light garland would look great on the tree, in a window, or hung across the mantle.

Felt is a fun fabric to use when making Christmas decorations. I wanted to make a window garland for the dining room picture window. This is an easy project to work on in the evenings after a long day or when watching TV.

• cardboard scraps for creating templates
  • pen or pencil
  • Scotch tape
  • felt squares in a variety of colors
  • embroidery floss in matching or coordinating colors
  • scissors
  • needle and sewing pins
  • small wired green tinsel
  • mini Christmas light holders

1. Draw the bulb and socket shapes onto printer paper and cut them out. Then trace onto lightweight cardboard. I used an old manila file folder and Pepsi soda can carton. Cut them out.
  2. Stick the template onto your felt with rolls of tape. I tried to trace around the template but felt is very difficult to draw on. So this tape process seems to work much better.
  3. Ad

4. Cut two pieces of felt for each bulb and socket. Since the templates were hand drawn they were slightly irregular, so I turned it over to cut the second shape.
  5. With wrong sides together, using embroidery floss, stitch the bulb shapes together. Place the completed bulb between the two pieces for the socket. Pin the bulb to the socket pieces and stitch. Make as many bulbs as you need for the length of wired tinsel you will be using.
  6. Ad

7. Using yellow embroidery floss begin sewing the lights to your tinsel. I placed them approximately 4 inches apart between attachment spots. I also had each bulb angled to the opposite side from the preceding one. You can arrange them to your own liking. Continue adding bulbs until you have the length you want for your garland. I left a short tail of tinsel at each end and curled it around a bit to finish the run.
  8. Ad

9. Finally, using the mini light suction cups attach the garland to a window. You may of course use the garland on the tree, mantle, or around a door or window frame. There are so many places you can display this colorful holiday decoration.

Videos

This cute kids' craft uses felt to make a safe garland of brightly colored Christmas light bulbs on a string. Learn how to make the garland in this short video.