Making a Felt Kitty Tail and Paws
This is a nice Halloween costume project, but also one that can add more items to your child's dressup box. This is a guide about making a felt kitty tail and paws
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Two of my kids went at kitties for Halloween this year. To go with their ears, I made these easy tails and paws to complete their costumes.
- black felt (wide enough for tail length)
- white felt
- light pink felt
- black mittens or gloves
- black elastic
- sewing machine
- hot glue gun
- paper (for templates)
- Create a template for the tail on paper, include the accent area as shown below. Cut out the template. Pin it to a double-thickness of black felt. Cut out the felt tail.
- Remove the template and pin the two tails together. Sew the tail on the sewing machine, as close to the edge as possible. Tie off thread.
- Fold the end of the tail over to create a pocket large enough for the elastic to go through. Sew it in place on the sewing machine.
- Cut off the accent part of the tail and cut out one piece from white felt.
- Glue (or sew) the tail accent in place.
- Cut a piece of elastic long enough to go around the person's waist. Slide the elastic through the end of the tail and sew the two ends of the elastic together.
- Create a template for the pads of the kitty paws. Cut out two (2) sets from pink felt.
- Glue the pads to the mittens or gloves, as shown below.
- Now the paws and tails are ready to be matched up with the Felt Kitty Ears, for trick-or-treating!
In This Guide