Making a Jack-O'-Lantern Candy Bowl
Using a foam pumpkin you can make this fun, reusable Halloween candy bowl. This is a page about making a jack-o-lantern candy bowl
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This awesome jack-o-lantern candy bowl is way more fun than a plain bowl and can be reused every year!
- foam pumpkin
- pumpkin carving tools
- jack-o-lantern face template
- paint (orange and brown)
- paint brush
- battery operated tea light, optional
- Velcro dots, optional
- hot glue gun, optional
- Create a face template for the jack-o-lantern on a piece of paper. There are lots of templates online too. Then tape the template to the pumpkin.
- Use a push pin to mark the face onto the pumpkin.
- Remove the template and ensure that all the parts of the face have been marked clearly.
- Use carving tools to cut out the face. Use a cloth to clean out the pumpkin and to get rid of any loose foam around the edges.
- Paint the inside of the pumpkin, but do not paint the very top inside. It will make it easier to attach the tea light, if you chose to do so. Allow to dry. Then paint the outside of the pumpkin and stem. Allow to dry, adding additional coats if needed.
- Now the pumpkin is ready to use. Fill with candy and enjoy!
- Optional Tea Light: Stick the loop side of a Velcro dot to the battery door on the tea light. Then stick the hook side to the loop side. Apply hot glue to the back of the hook piece and attach the tea light to the inside of the pumpkin. Hold firmly while glue dries. The Velcro allows you to easily turn the light on and off. Plus having the Velcro on the battery door allows you to move the door to a new tea light if necessary.
This festive candy bowl is made from a decorative foam pumpkin, allowing years of use. Learn how to make it in this short video.