Making a Jack-O'-Lantern Planter
A cute fall decoration can be made with a pumpkin fashioned into a planter. This guide is about making a Jack-o-lantern planter
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This jack-o-lantern planter is a fun variation on an old tradition!
- 1 large pumpkin
- asst. succulents (hen and chicks)
- decorative grass
- potting soil
- pumpkin carving tools
- Clean off the pumpkin and select a side to carve.
- Using a pumpkin knife, cut a lid into the top. Remove the lid. Using a scrapper, remove any guts from the lid.
- Now scrape out the inside, removing the guts and seeds.
- Arrange the plants that you are going to use for the face. This will help you determine how big the openings will need to be for each part.
- Use a pencil to draw a face onto the pumpkin. I recommend using circles for the eyes and nose to best fit the plants.
- Cut out the face. Test fit the plants as you go, removing additional pumpkin to make them fit snugly in the openings.
- Once the face is finished, start putting the plants in. NOTE: For the mouth, I recommend putting the smaller plants into the corners first. Then fit in the larger plants at the center.
- Begin filling the pumpkin with soil, making sure to leave room for the grass.
- Put the grass into the pumpkin. Then add more soil around it if necessary, packing it into any voids with your fingers.
- Enjoy your finished jack--o-lantern planter inside or outside. If you want, you can use the lid as a hat! :)
October 2, 20140 found this helpful
Here is a fun twist on the classic jack-o-lantern. The perfect fall project for a gardener.
In This Guide