Making a Princess Costume

Category Costumes
A princess costume is very popular for Halloween and any other time your child wants to play dress-up. This is a page about making a princess costume.

I used an old dress for this costume. I tore a piece of the dress to put in her hair and added a necklace and I gave her that toy wand.

By shareka from Durham, NC

A pretty, glittery costume for your favorite girl. It's easy to make and economical. I made it in white, but you could make it any color you want.

The illustrations say to glue the glitter on the leotard itself. I wanted to re-use the leotard, so I only glittered the felt and and attached it to the leotard using a long running stitch that could be taken out after Halloween was over.

Source: October 21,1986 Family Circle magazine (If you can get this magazine, there are several other wonderful costumes to make as well.)

• white leotard, tights and slippers
  • 1/2 yard 72"-wide white nylon net
  • 2 white felt 12"-square pieces
  • white glue
  • needle and thread
  • white and silver glitter
  • wooden spoon and white paint (I used a white-handled spatula)
  • 1 yard silver ribbon
  • paper or "lace" doilies
  • plastic headband

1. Skirt: At one long edge, turn under 6" and stitch 1/2" from the folded edge to make a casing.
  2. Advertisement

3. Thread ribbon through the casing for the tie.
  4. Leotard: Cut the felt into 2 "icicles" (see illustration and photo). Sew straight edge to underarm seam, starting at wrist. (Note: my icicle was shorter). Repeat. Glue glitter on the felt.
  5. Cut second felt square into 3 icicle shapes. Sew around the neck as illustrated. Glue glitter on the felt.
  6. Wand: Glue glitter onto two same-sized doiles. Put a white-handled spoon or spatula between them and glue or tape. See photo for how it should look.
  7. Advertisement

8. Headband. Use 3 2" snowflakes or doilies. Glue glitter on them and attach to headband. See illustration and photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

When my granddaughter was born she was nicknamed the princess well here she is on her 1st birthday, and the entire party was the princess theme. So when you are doing a theme party do it all the way and watch your results. Tiara and all.

By Donna from New Port Richey, FL

baby wearing a tiara

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Whether its an imaginary space princess or the well-known Amidala, you can make a fun space princess costume for costume party or Halloween.

Outer Space Princess Riding Shooting Star Illusion Costumes - full body shot of one person in costume

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a page about making a Princess Jasmine costume. Jasmine is a princess in one of Disney's enduring classics, Aladdin.

The movie is still popular and Jasmine is a great costume idea for any young girl who enjoys this classic movie.

Picture of Jasmine from Aladdin.

This is a page about making a Princess Amidala costume. Princess Amidala's elegant look and variety of costume options makes this a great choice for this Halloween.

Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.

Crafts Halloween CostumesNovember 7, 2016
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-29 13:54:42 in 3 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️