Making a Sock Snowman

Category Decorations
With some simple accessories, you can turn a plain sock into an adorable snowman. They are cute decorations for around the house and make great gifts too. This is a page about making a sock snowman.

This is a novel way to give sports socks at Christmas time, using a pair of socks and a roll of toilet tissue.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes or less

Instructions:

1. Slip roll of toilet tissue down into very end of one of the tube socks.
  2. Roll up other sock and insert into first sock so that it sits on toilet tissue, forming snowman's head.
  3. Fold down top of tube sock to form stocking cap.
  4. Advertisement

5. Make "pompom" by tightening top using an elastic band or thread.
  6. Sew on eyes and nose, also three buttons down the front.
  7. Tie on a scrap of material or ribbon for the scarf. (If using plain white socks, a tiny sprig of holly fastened to the side of the stocking cap looks nice.)

By Preserver from Manitoba, Canada

This has to be the most fun craft I have made yet! It is so very easy, a great craft to do with the kids! It is funny when I show people and tell them it is only a single tube sock filled with rice. Everything here is from The Dollar Store. I just love that place!

• tube socks (sold at the Dollar Store) 2 pairs for that makes 4 snowmen ($1.00)
  • 3 bags white rice, it takes 1-1/2 lb to make a nice fat snowman, you can make it with 1 lb.
  • elastic bands (heavy duty) but not too thick
  • 1 square each of black felt and orange felt
  • 1 roll plaid ribbon
  • plastic dish to decorate
  • 1 small pkg of google eyes or use the black felt
  • a few sprays of holiday pieces

1. Take one tube sock, cut at the end of the ribbing and set aside
  2. Advertisement

3. Open the rice and measure 1-1/2 cups.
  4. Using the funnel, open the tube sock, place the funnel in the sock with your hand tightly holding it. Pour the rice into the sock.
  5. When full, take the very top cut edges and squeeze them together and put an elastic around it a few times.
  6. Lay the filled sock down. Now you are going to figure out a plan, you need a head first. So take the first bunch in your hands, this will be your smallest of the 3, but big enough for the head! Hold up that first ball section of the rice filled sock and put an elastic around it.
  7. Advertisement

8. Now you are ready to make the middle. The middle should be a bit smaller than the bottom. So grab in your hands the middle ball tightly and put an elastic around it. Now you should have a good looking snowman!
  9. I start by putting his hat on first, made from the ribbed portion of the sock.
  10. While youre snowman is standing, make sure it looks good and even, you can make adjustments by pressing the rice in the sock until you are happy.
  11. Now it's time to decorate! Cut out 3 round black felt circles for buttons, and 1 oval black felt piece for the mouth, and 1 orange triangle for the nose. Glue in place. Add a ribbon around his neck as a scarf, leave it a bit loose. Just loop it over and put a dab of hot glue under the scarf and between the loop. Add ribbon to the top of the hat, if you like.
  12. Advertisement

13. Last step, I use the liquid glitter glue. Silver looks the best. Put a dab on your finger and spread thinly over the snowman! It gives it such a glow!
  14. Now set him in a dish, and fill the dish all around with holiday decorations! Or you can make several and display them together as shown in main photo.

To start the snowman's body, take the sock and make sure it is actually a "tube" sock (it should be straight with no bend for the heel and foot).

Snowman made form a tube sock.

Have any old socks? Do not toss them out, but be sure they're washed and clean. You can make this cute snowman plushie, perfect to give as a gift, inexpensive project for a stocking stuffer, or for your children (no sewing required.)

No-Sew Christmas Sock Snowman - finished snowman on a beige couch

I wanted to make a little snowman out of a child's sock. I plan to hang it on a gift later on, or on the tree. I stuffed the sock with scraps of fabric, then tied off three parts with embroidery thread.

Finally, I added a bow. I also turned another plush ornament, which was not a snowman, into a snowman.

two finished snowmen ornaments

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone have the poem for the snow man filled with baking soda you use in the fridge?

By Diane from NY

Answers

"My belly is filled with baking soda, I was made with love too, if you place me in your fridge, I will keep it fresh for you."

For a fun and simple craft, make sock snowmen. You will need white socks with a colorful, striped upper cuff, two rubber bands or pieces of string per sock, white rice, and choice of the following craft supplies--permanent markers, google eyes, embroidery thread, sequins, buttons, ribbon.

Fill the sock halfway full of rice. Tie off with rubber band or string. Add more rice to the sock up to the bottom of the cuff and tie off again.

You now have your snowman's body and head. Turn the cuff down to create the snowman's cap. Decorate face and body as desired. Have fun!

By Sandi from Stoughton, WI

Answers:

Sock Snowman

I have done a craft very similar to this one. I did use child size socks without the colored stripe, and poly beads that you can find at most craft stores. One year, I was so excited to make them that I went into work with about 20! I gave them out to all of my co-workers. To this day, they still have and display them. (the poly beads won't break down like the rice does). (12/19/2006)

By Pat

Sock Snowman

I like the poly beads idea.
(12/19/2006)

By Sandi

Sock Snowman

Does anyone have the poem for the tube socks filled with birdseed? After using as a holiday decoration, you sprinkle the birdseed in the lawn to feed the birds. (08/14/2008)

By gogovance

Sock Snowman

The poem goes something like:

Inside your warm house
I want to stay
Til you feed me to the birds
On Christmas Day (12/21/2008)

By Debbie

In These Pages
Crafts Christmas DecorationsNovember 5, 2011
📓
😷
🌻
😎
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Sock-Snowman.html