Making an Artificial Christmas Tree

Category Decorations
Artificial trees can be quite expensive. With some creativity you can make your own tree and save a lot of money. This is a guide about making an artificial Christmas tree.

I have an old artificial christmas tree and I would like to make trees from treated straight tree limbs by drilling holes in the tree limbs and inserting the greenery from the artificial tree. I have seen this type tree at Target this year. I would like ideas about duplicating it by recycling my old artificial tree.

Kathy from south Pittsburg, TN

Answers

By Debi (Guest Post)

I just finished making my own alpine tree from an old artificial christmas tree. I had my husband cut 2 small pine trees, stripping stripping the limbs to create a bare bark post. One 6 foot and one 4 foot.
I separated the branches from the artifical tree into sizes. Drilled holes in the pine trees, where I wanted to insert the branches. Working from the bottom to the top. I staggered the branches to create the alpine tree look. I used 2 of the larger branches for the top. My alpine trees are beautiful and one of a kind. I used the top of the artificial tree as a small tree, in which i inserted in a nice brass planter. Now I have 3 trees made from one ugly artifical tree.

The first artificial trees were made out of a wood pole with holes drilled in it, the holes were slanted and were kind of staggered. Then the holes at different heights of the tree were painted different colors and the ends of the different lenght branches were painted the appropriate color to put in the right colored hole.

This was for putting it together on a yearly basis. The one we had was a really nice looking tree and lasted for twenty years before the holes started getting too big for the branches to fit in properly. Actually as far as fullness goes, I think it was a much nicer looking tree than the ones that are more modern and easier to assemble.

I have made a Christmas tree out of a tomato cage. I turned it upside down and put green rope garland around it, and decorated it the colors that I wanted for that year. sandycrafty1

I had fun last summer making my trio of trees I brought 3 really cheep trees I used the top part of the tree as it was but cut all the lower branches off and put them in to drilled holes in the tree steaks

Does anyone know of a link, or instructions on how to make an Alpine tree trio? I can't find anything anywhere on the internet where I can download instructions, or a pattern, etc. Please help.

Answers

You don't need a pattern I had 3 tree steaks and 3 cheep artifical tree I cut all the branches off of the metal tree then drilled holes in my tree steaks where I wanted the branches to be it's more like making a sculpture

Maybe you can help me. I would like to make a tree, and I have a idea how, but I am not positive how to proceed.

Here is what I am doing. I have a pipe about 6 feet tall. I covered it with chicken wire, then I put cement over the chicken wire and pipe. I smoothed almost everything out, so it looks like a tree trunk.

Then I put some more cement on a couple different places so it looks like a left over knob from a cut off branch. I have some pipes that are medium around for the branches. The only problem I have is, I have no idea how to connect the medium pipes to the main pipe (tree trunk).

How do I put the branches and the leaves on it? Where can I get some big leaves? Can you help me? I love your arts and crafts and I did a lot of them with the Girl Scouts. Please respond. Thank you.

Rosy

Answers

I knew a teacher who turned a supporting post in the classroom into a large tree. I forget how he did it. It was an inside tree though. I was looking at this, and here is one link I found:
http://www.ehow  l-palm-tree.html
I like trees too, and one day I will probably make one for the house!
Have fun!
Robyn

How do you make a fake tree with branches? Maybe around 2-3 feet high to last a few years?

By lysianne seguin from Les Coteaux, Quebec

Answers:

Making an Artificial Tree

How about if you find a big enough branch that you can put it into a Christmas tree holder, and have various holes drilled around the branch, drill it slightly downward, and then when you trim some evergreen tree branches and fit them in around the bigger branch. You would probably have to mist the branches a couple of times, since it's warmer inside the house, or just add some newer branches if you have to.

Anyway, the bigger branch should last some years, just add new fir branches each year. Check out various artificial trees to see how close the branches are to each other, and if the branches should be put in up or down, just examine some of the artificial ones, and you can probably get a better idea of how to put branches in it.

Also, I know we always have plenty of different fir trees that can be trimmed, people trim them for wreaths and swags before Christmas, so it's not going to harm the trees at that time. If you don't have them, check out some of evergreen bushes that you might have too, and ask for others if you can get some trimmings from them. (10/02/2009)

By Kathryn Visser