Mason Jar Jack-O'-Lanterns

Use a few old Mason jars to make some cute glowing jack-o'-lanterns that you can use year after year. This is great project to do with the kids. They love to make funny and spooky faces on their jars. Plus they make awesome decorations on a table or in a window.

Approximate Time: 1 hour

• Mason or recycled glass jars
  • scissors
  • orange tissue paper
  • black construction paper
  • paint brush
  • Elmer's glue
  • small plastic cup or dish
  • X-acto Knife (optional)

Instructions:

Cut the tissue paper into 1 inch strips. A little wider or thinner doesn't matter. We cut the tissue paper while it was folded. So the longs strips could each be cut down in thirds.

Pour a little glue in your container and add some water into it. I did about a tablespoon of glue with a half cup of water and it was more then enough for this project.

Mix the glue and water with the brush.

Then, one at a time, lay the strips of orange tissue paper on the outside of the Mason jar and stick them down vertically with glue wash. Overlapping them a little will give your finished jar a more pumpkin like look.

Turn the Mason jar upside down to dry. I used a mat with a couple paper towels on top to make sure no glue got on my table.

Use the scissors or X-acto knife to cut out Jack-o-lantern faces or other Halloween designs.

Stick the faces to the side of the orange Mason jars how ever you like. I used my extra glue mixture, but a little dab of glue on the back of each piece of paper would stick them down just as well.

We put LED tea lights in ours so we can set them on our window sill and there is no fire hazard near the curtains. Votive candles would work very well in these also.

Have fun and be creative!

By Jess from Hillsboro, OR

These are so darling! I love them!

Anonymous

Adorable!

Simple, easy, and very cute!

Those are too cute. I bet your kids loved to help? I know I would! PBP

Love love love this project! I'm definitely going to make some!

Thanks for sharing, love the detailed instructions too! :) Happy Halloween!

My son's special needs class did this to raise money for trips and other stuff. I gave them a Mr. Peanut jar that was out that year and they made a snowman for me for Christmas - real cute too! These are such great ideas especially for Children to help with.

Great idea; but, why limit it to mason jars. This would be great for any size jar (mayo, spagetti sauce, pickles, etc.). You could even make a "family" of jack o lanterns by using different size jars.

Crafts HalloweenOctober 14, 2011
🐛
😷
🎆
🌻
👔
😎