Michigan Christmas Charities

Every year ThriftyFun gets numerous requests from people looking for help for their families for Christmas. Since we do not have the resources to offer direct help, we have set up this guide to help people find charities in each state. This is a guide about finding Christmas charities in Michigan.

Since 1962, the Chaldean American Ladies of Charity has been assisting needy families in the Detroit area. The organization sponsors an "Adopt-A-Family" program, providing needy Chaldean families with gifts at Christmas.

Santa Claus Girls provides toys and other gifts to needy children of Kent County.

Forgotten Harvest, a food bank in the Detroit area, may be able to provide assistance with holiday meals.

I live in Barry county and don't know where to turn. Does anyone know where I could ask for help here? I live near Hastings, Michigan in Nashville and this year I lost my child support and my van. My family has gone through 3 surgeries and all I want is to have something for them this year.

By Shannon from Nashville, MI

Answers

Anonymous

Shannon, I am quite familiar with Nashville and spent 16 years of holidays with family there and a few Sunday services at Nashville Baptist Church when I lived in Grand Rapids. Please attend next sunday's service there, introduce yourself to others and talk to the pastor. All will be happy to at least guide you of where to find help for your situation.

You might even find you like that congregation enough to become a member yourself. I have three loved ones who have been members there for decades. The address is 312 Phillips Street. Here's their website: http://www.nashvillebaptist.com/

Anonymous

try Love Inc. I know they are here in Hastings but they are taking names for Christmas help and can put you in touch with others to help you. Also Barry county has the 211 service as well, call them and see what they can tell you for help.

You can go to the local DHS office and find the information for toys for tots and the Community Action Agency. Also, the united way is located behind the court house in that big church. I hope this helps.

You can go to the baptist church nearby;)

Can anyone tell me where I can get help for Christmas this year? I lost my job and my husband is on disability. Thank you.

By Cathy from Clarkston, MI

Answers

The question is how many people do you need help for? Call 211, it is a nationwide program called helpline. It is a clearing house where lists of organizations that help people is kept. You could also call the Salvation Army. When it comes to gifts most organizations have a cut off age of 12 years. No matter what organization you apply with there will be an application to fill out and you will have to provide gross income.

Are you looking for another job? Any job is better than none. If there are kids in the family explain to them that you can't get them as much this year. You can always shop dollar stores and thrift stores. Also if they have a favorite toy, you could take the toy and hide it, in order to refurbish it. Example make some new clothes for a doll, you could probably get pieces of left over fabric for that, from people you know that sew.

I start my Christmas shopping in January and I have been done for at least a month. That is the only way I would be able to do it. I spend $20.00 on each of my daughters and my four grand kids, that range in age from 15-25 years, and I also exchange gifts with an aunt and a cousin that are real close to me. If I find a $20.00 item on sale for $10-15.00, it still counts as $20.00.

I know a lot of people on disability that do work part time. If you are so low income you need Christmas help, you must be on food stamps and have a case worker. They might have ideas of how to help.

You could also speak to your pastor about this matter. The church might be able to take up a special offering to help you.

Can be more specific about the help you ask? If financially try to look a part time job on craiglist or other online job finder.

Call your local Social Services Dept. they usually have lists of those who help. You can also call your local Churches. Hope this helps.

My name is Theresa I have an 11 year old son. This son of mine asks for nothing just that we are all here and together family means the world to him. He rarely leaves my side because of my health issues. I am extremely proud of him and if anyone can help make his Christmas a better one I would be forever grateful. He never writes a list nor asks us for anything just that we are here for him. Can someone please tell me where I can find Christmas help for my son?

By Theresa

Answers

Any of the charities that provide Christmas help, that I am familiar with, these are the ones that are nationwide, have a cut off date of mid-November, for budgeting reasons. If you have a social worker with the Department of Social Services talk to that person about it, they might know of some other help. Also talk to your pastor, sometimes they will take up a special anonymous offering in church in church for a needy member of the congregation. Unless you are wanting to get him some big ticket item, I know people can get decent items for no more than $10.00 at places like WalMart, some of the dollar stores, and thrift stores. Also doesn't he have grandparents, aunts and uncles that would be giving him gifts.

My name is Jacqueline I live in south west Detroit. I need some help with some baby stuff and Christmas for my 11 year old and 5 year old. I am a single mother, the father got deported and I only have enough coming in for rent.

By Jacqueline from Detroit MI

Answers

What are you doing for food, and utilities? You also need money for gas and car insurance. For Christmas help go to the Salvation Army and there is Toys for Tots, and depending on your area, there will be other organizations. As far as clothing goes, you can go to the office of your local Salvation Army and tell them what you need and they will give you a voucher to take to their thrift store for free clothes. I think it used to be that you would get three outfits, and I don't know how often you can go and get those vouchers. If you have a church that you attend talk to the pastor.

Where can I find help for Christmas?

By Kimberly from Chesterfield, MI

Answers

It would depend on what kind of help you need. However, most of the charities have already given the help that their funds allow.

Where can I get help for Christmas for my 3 kids?

By Quillie from Clinton Twp, MI

Answers:

Michigan Christmas Charities

Toys for Tots: You can call your closest DSHS (where you'd get food stamps) and get info or Google "Toy's for Tots, US Marines".

The parent gets to pick 3 or 4 toys for each child. They are unwrapped, so you can pick what each child would like. You can also contact the Salvation Army. (09/02/2009)

By Cyinda

Michigan Christmas Charities

In some cities the Fire Bureau has a Christmas Gift program. I'd see if there is a United Good Neighbors office in your area and they probably have a good list. You are wise to get on the lists early, I think. Bless you, and love for your family. Many of us have been there at some time in our lives. (09/02/2009)

By PIKKA

Michigan Christmas Charities

There is an online group worldwide called freecycle.com,and the members list "only" things they want to get rid of free of cost to the receiver. I have gotten clothes for my granddaughter that way that looked brand new, and I think some of them possibly were! I have also seen lots of toys listed. (10/15/2009)

By dollyslaffn

Charities that offer help during the holiday season in Michigan. Please post feedback about any charities you may know about.

Editor's Note: Do NOT post here if you need help. ThriftyFun does not have resources to give direct help to those in need.

Answers:

Michigan Christmas Charities

I'm not from MI, but I believe that Toys for Tots is a national charity and they give toys for children in need from birth through teenage age. Maybe a local church even if you are not a member? Good luck.
Happy Holidays. (12/01/2005)

By Felicia