New York Christmas Charities

Every year ThriftyFun gets numerous requests from people looking for help for their families for Christmas. Since we do not have the resources to offer direct help, we have set up this guide to help people find charities in each state. This is a guide about finding Christmas charities in New York.

Hope for New York, an organization serving the poor and marginalized of New York City, sets up several toy stores run by volunteers in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Harlem and Washington Heights. Local low-income families are invited to shop for toys at these stores at no cost.

The Food Bank for New York City may be able to help with holiday meal provisions.

Catholic Charities of New York has a program called St. Nicholas Project, providing low-income individuals with coats, hats, sweaters, and blankets to help keep them warm.

Second Chance Toys collects and distributes gently used toys to children in need.

My name is Dee and I'm a single mother of four amazing children. Three months ago my husband of 19 years walked out on us for another woman. I was left with no means to support the children. I'm in full time school for medical billing at Bradford Hall. Due to him leaving we lost our home and we are now in a shelter. I had to go down to the department of Social Services.

I am hoping that there is an organization that can help me make sure Santa comes to our home. I'm running out of time and I'm hurting. I can't imagine waking up Christmas morning with nothing under the tree. Please anything will help, even prayers. Thank you and God bless.

By Donna S from Sayville, NY

Answers

Best Answer

http://www.uwnys.org/

Check this -- it is the New York United Way website. You should be able to find help here.

Best Answer

You can get help from Catholic charities, salvation army,Toys for tots, St vicent de paul, Most churches.
All you have to do is apply for the help and let them know what you need.

Best Answer

Contact your local welfare office and apply for food stamps, medicaid and cash assistance. Your local housing authority can help with shelter costs and United Way is a clearing house for all charitable agencies in your area. Contact these agencies to see if you are eligible for these programs if you haven't already.

I am a single mother of 3 amazing teenagers. 2 boys 17 and 13 and my princess 14. Our family has been through a lot over the past year. We were evicted from our home in December 2011 after 15 years. I got laid off and I just could not keep up with all the bills. The only choice I had was to take my children into the shelter system. It was a very difficult time for my children. We spent the holidays in the shelter and I could not afford any gifts for my children. They never complained and stayed so strong. But I know emotionally it took a toll on my children.

I found a job pretty fast. I was waiting for a rental assistance program to help me with the rent and to find a place. But during this time my oldest son fell into a deep depression. It broke my heart. I knew if I didn't get out it would only get worse. So I decided to find a place with what I had and forget waiting for the program. We moved out of the shelter in November 2012 and we have our own apartment.

I am working, but honestly I live pay check to paycheck. I barely make ends meet. We are in this new apartment, but we lost everything so I am slowly replacing it. With the bills and just necessities, I am not able to provide my children with the Christmas they deserve. They tell me it's OK; we have a place to live. But I know that they wish I could give them a Christmas. I am asking if anyone can suggest where I might get help to give my children the Christmas miracle they deserve. I know there are so many people out there that abuse and take advantage. But as God as my witness all I want is for my children to be happy. My children are not expecting anything; they will appreciate anything they receive. I just would like to replace what they lost. Thank you for any advice you can provide.

By C Perdikakis from NY

I'm trying to see how I can get help for my kids for Christmas this year. I don't have the funds and I want them to have a happy Christmas. I'm a stay at home mom and I get help from the government.

By teona from Ellenville, NY

I need help finding places that help needy families for Christmas in Utica, NY

By Carol G. from Utica, NY

Answers:

New York Christmas Charities

Call your local churches, fire department, police department, homeless shelters, food banks, Salvation Army, St Vincent DePaul, and Goodwill. (10/13/2009)

By Deeli

Charities that offer help during the holiday season in New York. Please post feedback about any charities you may know about.

Editor's Note: Do NOT post here if you need help. ThriftyFun does not have resources to give direct help to those in need.

Answers:

New York Christmas Charities

uwnys.org/

Check this, it is the New York United Way website. You should be able to find help here. (11/30/2005)

By Alice

New York Christmas Charities

You can get help from Catholic Charities, Salvation Army, Toys for Tots, St Vincent de Paul, and most churches.
(11/30/2005)

By Candy