Non-Pleated Face Mask With Filter Pocket

The most recent orders from our governor include wearing masks when in public so I decided to make a set of masks for my family. I found a free pattern online for a non-pleated mask with filter pocket.

Editor's Note: If you are attempting this project for the first time please note that the original mask pattern has been slightly revised, version #3. You will note that the seam allowances are now set at 3/8ths inches rather than 1/4". The designer has also added an additional fabric allowance on the tab for the mask to accommodate wider elastic or ties. The steps are essentially the same as those published here.

1. Download, print, and cut out the template in the size you need. This version has a main piece and a liner piece.
  2. Fold your fabric, wrong sides together, then pin the main pattern piece to the fabric. Repeat for the liner pattern piece. You should now have 2 pieces for the main layer and 2 pieces for the liner layer.
  3. Advertisement

4. For the main layer, pin the fabric pieces right sides together. Then sew along the curved edge using a 1/4" seam. Remove pins and tie off thread. Repeat for the liner layer.
  5. Clip along the curve every 1/2", making sure to not cut through the seam.
  6. Press the seam to one side and top stitch. Do this for both the main and liner layers.
  7. For the liner layer, fold the side in 1/4", then fold over again and press. Now sew in place with a 1/8" seam. Repeat on the other end.
  8. Advertisement

9. Place the liner layer onto the main layer, right sides together. Pin along top edge and sew with 1/4" seam. Then pin and sew the bottom edge with a 1/4" seam. Tie off thread ends.
  10. Clip top curved edge. Turn mask right side out and press seams flat.
  11. Clip the edges of the main layer where it is sewn to the liner layer, as shown below. Fold it under 1/8" and then fold again. Pin in place and topstitch from one end to the other, repeating on the bottom edge.
  12. Advertisement

13. Fold the end of the main layer over 1/4" and press. Then fold the end over to the edge of the liner layer. Pin in place and sew with 1/8" seam. This creates the little pockets for the elastic. Repeat on the other side.
  14. Insert elastic and tie. Try on the mask and make sure the elastic holds it tightly to your face, adjusting if necessary. Then gently pull it so that the knots go inside of the mask pocket.
  15. Filter Pocket: This mask has an optional filter pocket. One option is to insert a folded coffee filter into the pocket.
  16. Advertisement

17. You can also opt to use a long, continuous piece of elastic so that it goes around your neck and head. This is a good option if you find that the other hurts your ears. Make sure to try it on and adjust the length of the elastic so that the mask is held tightly against your face. Then pull the elastic until the knot is hidden in one of the pockets.
  18. The pattern I chose also had 2 different sizes for children. For my son's mask I decided to use 2 different coordinating fabrics for the outer layer which turned out really cute!
  19. Advertisement

20. The pattern also offered patterns for teens/women and adult men. Here is the one I made for my husband to wear at work.

I have this free face mask from the original author but your pictures are so much clearer and easier to see what you're supposed to do. Thank you!

Super helpful!! So detailed!
Wish I had seen this sooner

Great instructions. Thank you!

Great instructions! Very clear and you really made this mask easy and fast to do. Other instructions for this mask has more folding, pressing etc. Yours is much neater and cleaner finish! Well done. Thank you
Kara

I love your post and pictures! Such a complete posting. I think I can do this now. Thank you!

I like your instructions also, thank you.

How do I get the pattern ??

You can download it from the supply list, where it says "pattern, download and print (#3-mask with pocket)"

Thank you for sharing!

all I could do was install the pdf opener, but it wouldn't let me actually open the .pdf. Would love to get the pattern if possible

I'm so sorry you are having trouble. This is the direct link. You should be able to print it directly from here:

www.craftpassion.com/.../face-mask-pattern-rev3.pdf

This looks great. I've been looking for a pattern that "draws up" on the sides. I'm going to try it!

This is the pattern I use. But may I say a coffee filter is not a good filter. The best filters for viruses is the Kirby Vac bags or an A/C filter from Filtrete that says it is for viruses and about 8 other things. Just remember that DIY masks are less effective then N95 masks but much better then nothing. Stay safe!!!

Does it take a long time to make?

In my opinion, it is all based on your sewing talent, whether it takes long to sew or not. I consider myself somewhere bw a beginner and intermediate sewer. I have sewed 3 different style masks. For me, depending on the day, sometimes the project goes quick and sometimes it can take me 2 hours on one mask. No rhyme or reason.

These instructions are so complete and easy to follow. Thank you.

Great instructions! Very clear easy and fast to make. Thank you.

Love your patterns & your instructions. Thank you so much !!

I made the same design and love that

Step 1
I already made the same design and love that it is a little fuller for breathing easier. Thank you for your layout *I used rope elastic make a complete loop. I put the top & bottom loop of elastic over my head and then place the top part of the elastic over my ear the bottom loop at the base of my skull. I can send a picture if anyone wants one.

Step 2
*I also made one with stretch cording made with a 71/2" piece of material that has the same idea for putting in a pocket & it has no darts. I like this one too has it has more room for breathing.

Now to make sure everyone wears one.

Thanks for the tip of mask 3, I have been making mask 1 for months with elastic over head, I just couldnt get the pattern to be snug doing ear loops. I am going to try mask 3 pattern and awe how it comes out. Again, thank you.

CoronavirusApril 30, 2020
😷
📓
🐛
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Non-Pleated-Face-Mask-With-Filter-Pocket.html

Coronavirus