Outdoor Halloween Decorations

Category Outdoor
Halloween is a great holiday for outdoor decorating to help create a autumn or ghostly mood. This is a guide about outdoor Halloween decorations.

Easy to make. Pound 2 sticks down through the blue jeans. Stuff jeans with newspapers. Attach a styrofoam ball to the top of the 2 sticks. (I stuffed 2 knitted beanie hats, much cheaper). Cover with a sheet and pin on the felt eyes. I have had so many comments about "my spooks".

By Patty from Turbotville, PA

I did this years ago, but it was really fun, and met with a lot of excitement by those who came by for Halloween. I set up a 6 foot stepladder, close to the house and kind of apart from the light, which was on so kids wouldn't trip and fall. I hung a white sheet over the ladder, and set a very small, moving fan on the fold out part where you put a can of paint or whatever. (The ladder is turned so that the fold out part is at the back).

Now, to top it off, put a good size pumpkin, heavy enough to hold the sheet in place, (or tack the sheet first), on top of the ladder, with a really good face carved on it. You can use a candle, or be safe and use something that is not going to burn. I did use a candle, as I was watching constantly.

Here is the very best part, tuck a CD player or such in a safe place, and play appropriate, spooky, Halloween sounds. The combination of flickering light, slightly waving sheet, with the fan aimed down to just give the hint of movement, then the spooky sounds? It was a hit!

Source: I made it up, about 20 years ago, and all the neighborhood kids loved it!

By Loretta from Theodore, AL

If you'd like to make some original decorations for your home this Halloween, have a go at creating a set of 'crazy heads'. All you need to get started are some polystyrene balls, together with a few basic materials that are easily on hand. So get those creative juices flowing and you'll soon have a set of spooky friends to help your party go with a swing on All Hallows' Eve.

Approximate Time: 40 minutes per head plus drying time

Instructions:

1. Make a hole in the base of the polystyrene ball and insert a long stick, use glue to secure the stick, if necessary.

2. Paint the ball using a foam brush in a colour of your choice. Let dry. Apply a second coat of paint to ensure even coverage and leave to dry thoroughly.

3. Paint on the face in a contrasting colour. Make your eyes look oversized and paint on a scary mouth and nose, too. If you don't like your face, simply reapply the base colour and begin again.

4. To finish your crazy head, glue on strands of yarn, lace, or shredded plastic to resemble hair and make a hat or other accessory out of fabric scraps.

5. Make lots more crazy heads. Stand your heads in the ground or alternatively, push them in pots lined with oasis and place them indoors.

Crafty Tips:

By Anne Davies from United Kingdom

Lightup indoor/outdoor Halloween tree.

Here is how I have our home decorated for Halloween. The sign reads "Attention all Witches, please leave your brooms by the front door."

I thought you might like to see the pumpkin I painted for myself this year. I just used acrylic paint and decorated the top with a bow and berries.

She sat on our front porch to welcome our guests.

Our garden went nuts with zucchini and squash this year! I couldn't keep up with them.

One year for Halloween I made a "Spooky Tree" door decoration that was a huge hit with everyone who saw it, and it barely cost me anything! I wish I had a photo to show you, but hopefully you can picture it in your head.

For making graveyard tombstones, instead of buying them at the dollar stores, I made mine out of old pieces of plywood. My husband had some old pieces of plywood laying around. So I spray painted the outline of the tombstone on the plywood and my husband used his saw and cut them out, then I spray painted them with black paint.

I painted by hand R.I.P. and "Here lies", and the names of friends and family on them. So if you have any pieces of old plywood lying around use that to make your tombstones instead of those foam ones you buy at the dollar store.

When my pink flamingos faded I decided to spray paint them black for Halloween decoration. Sorry the picture is a little blurry.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

While working in our field, I noticed all these wild watermelons in various sizes growing in our field. With Halloween around the corner, I decided to use spray paint and decorate them to look like pumpkins.

I'd like ideas for decorating my yard and house for Halloween. My kids are 9, 7, & 3. We've never decorated before and it means a lot to my kids. They're actually grieving over it every holiday. It's just that my husband always talks us out of it as it costs money and time.

I need ideas that are simple and that the four of us can do together with little help from my husband. My daughter had an idea to hang ghosts from some of our 9 maple trees in the front and to make our house (150 feet back from the road) look haunted. I need to know the best way to make homemade ghosts and how to hang them! Also, she suggested having animals and monsters peeking out from the trees. Other ideas welcome. Thanks bunches!

Susan from Essexville, MI

Answers

My husband had leftover plywood from a home project. He cut 6 "deadstones" (as our daughter named them) and 6 spikes which he nailed on the back. Each was painted grey and then he used stencils and black paint to write funny epitaphs, like RIP Disco with some dates, and other silly phrases. The adults walking the kids got a laugh as they could easily relate and the kids all just thought it was neat! His next plan is to build an old fashioned coffin -- big enough to lie in and be a ghastly corpse. Another time he stuffed old jeans and a plaid shirt with newspaper, set his boots on the ground and placed the "body" on the porch bench. He carved a pumpkin to look like a face and put a baseball cap on it. He set it in the bench next to the body and put one arm around it. It was hilarious! Kids and adults alike did a double take at the headless body. Later when the older kids came around, he added a cardboard hatchet with red paint on the blade. That too was a hit. There are many great things you can make from leftover stuff around the house. Start looking in the shed or garage and see what you can find. Only your imagination can hold you back! Have fun and good luck!

By (Guest Post)

When I was in grade school, one of our teachers made a marvelous "spook house" for us. We went into the darkened classroom and there were a bunch of scary eyes staring out at us. Turns out, she used glow-in-the-dark paint on black construction paper and painted the eyes herself. She may have had an inexpensive black light on them; it's been many years and I cannot remember this detail.
Another great source of ideas is the classic Tightwad Gazette books by Amy Daczyzn (or however you spell her last name.) In one of them, she describes how her husband made a "pirate's ship" out of scraps for a kid's birthday party. She also describes how they created a very original "robot" costume out of odds and ends, including an old dryer vent hose. These books should be in your public library.

Like Trisch's husband, mine also made "deadstones" one year for Halloween; only since we didn't have any plywood, he bought that 1 inch thick, rigid styrofoam and used that. He used gray spraypaint and we wrote the "RIP" and other epitaphs with a wide-tip black Sharpie (permanent marker made to write on *anything*). Then we propped the deadstones up, using bricks or rocks, in our front yard. So if you don't have the extra plywood lying around, the styrofoam might be a little bit cheaper to buy. Have fun!

By Shawn (Guest Post)

My husband and I take large, white leaf sized trash bags and use a basket ball or soccer ball for a head. Tie a rope or string at the end of the bags and tie these as ghosts in trees. If you do not have any types of balls to use for the heads, just stuff each ghost with crumpled news papers or more plastic grocery bags. This will be lighter weight and may be easier to hanging in the trees. You can also tie a few magnets to the bottom to weight the bottom down a little. You can use small little bags in orange and make little pumpkins out of them. You can either leave plain or paint faces on them as you wish with either craft paints or permanent markers.

We also take black trash bags and stuff with newspapers. We use the points to make ears foe a cat head , also use orange bags to make into pumpkins. These hold up well if they get wet too. We also added a few large rocks or sand in bottoms to weight these down a little in case of a windy day.

You can also use Styrofoam to make "RIP headstones and use a stick to secure them into the ground. You can paint them a gray color and write in black paint or markers. Ad a few crocked lines for cracks to make them look old. Also use yarn as cob webs or spider webs. We have also used old jeans and old shirts and stuff them with either newspaper or plastic bags. We add old straw hats to make scare crows or add some straw in ends of sleeves and legs to make them look more authentic.

Just use your imagination to make creatures like Frankensteins, bats, witches and all sorts of cute, yet spooky characters. Foam is also a cool thing to use for cutting shapes like shadows of cats and bats and things like this.

They also sell Halloween lights you can hang just like we do at Christmas time. They come in pumpkins and all sorts of Halloween type decorative lights.

There are so many stes on line that have suggestions on how to decorate. www.marthastewart.com is one also try www.hgtv.com as they too have many suggestions too.

Can't wait to see if you post pics of your decorated home once you have it completed! Have fun!

I did ghosts last year and they were simple, easy and fun...everyone loved them. Take Styrofoam balls or you can use crumbled newspaper for the heads. I got cheesecloth at Wal-Mart and I think it was only a couple dollars. I cut ragged edged squares and drape them over the balls. Tie fishing line around the neck and then it can also be used to hang them. They flow in the wind. If you want them stiffer, dip the cheesecloth in a glue water mix that will stiffen when it dries but it doesn't need to be done. If you want, you can paint over the cheesecloth with glow-in-the-dark paint too.
Also, here is a site with inexpensive Halloween projects too...I am also gonna make the milk jug heads.
http://www.kids  afts/hcraftx.htm

Don't forget spiders and webs A few black garbage bags, one large and eight smaller, stuffed with leaves or newspaper.Fill the large bag so it is round and the smaller bags so they are thin and long. Tie off the tops with twist ties or string. Stick on huge paper eyes( I like yellow or red) with black center and two white fangs in the right places one the round bag.Or use dollar store colored electric tape to make eyes and teeth. Get some black yarn and weave a huge spider web to set the spider on. Dab on some sparkly glue so people can see it. Have fun and don't worry about how the web looks, each spider's web is unique, and that goes double(or even triple) for giant Halloween spiders!:]

By Cyndi (Guest Post)

Hi, well I'm kinda the queen for kid crafts, decorating and with 4 of my own kids. Money was always a issue, creative ways. 1/2 fill white garbage bags with your raked up leaves, tie string to middle, leaving skirt type flare. Tie one of the top corners with a string. This will allow you to hang from branch. Use permanent marker make ghost faces on puffy part. Enjoy, tidying your yard and having ghost faces all over your trees.

When I first started decorating for Halloween I made my deadstones out of cardboard, just make sure that the ribs run up and down otherwise it will curl I painted both sides with leftover house paint and use a magic marker for the epitaph.
I have finally moved to plywood, it's too hard to store Styrofoam. I have made candy corn and eyeballs in the bushes out of Styrofoam. This year I have made an fence out of bones that Is made out of papier-mâché and PVC pipe and The scarecrows made out a grape vines the ghost is made out of a disk of clear plastic which I painted a face on. a piece of wire and real lightweight clear plastic and I used fishing line to hang it.
Hope this will give you some Ideas

I would like to decorate the front of a building for halloween but it's a very plain painted brick building. What could I use to stick decorations to the outside of a brick building? Just temporary stuff for 5-6 hours. I don't want to use screws or nails, I was thinking hot glue for small items that don't weigh much, any suggestions?

Madisonandco from KY

Answers

check out this site: www.orientaltrading.com
That may give you some great ideas!!!
How about the hooks that you use to hang up Christmas lights outside?? I've seen them but never have tried them.
Go to your local hardware store---ask them if they have any great ways to hang things outside for temporary use.
Good luck and have fun!!!

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

"Are we there yet?"

By jim

Halloween Skeleton in Back of Car with Red Upholstery

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 15

Here in Nova Scotia, we have farms and lots of hay, so HEY!

By Sharon L Martin from Nova Scotia, Canada

Halloween Hay

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 10

Photo Description
Our neighbor creates unique Halloween decorations every year. This year's is really unique! We won't be going to their house for dinner anytime soon!

Photo Location
Northeastern, PA

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3