Parvo Survival Rate

Category Health
Many factors can effect the survival rate of pets infected with this highly contagious disease. Proper care either at home or in your vet's office will certainly improve their odds. Vaccinations and house and yard decontamination are also recommended to protect future pets. This is a guide about parvo survival rate.

I have a 12 week old Puggle named Snickers. I took him to the vet today to find out if he had Parvo like we thought and he did. He is now in the hospital for 5-7 days. I hope and pray that my baby will make it. What are his chances of living?

By Courtney from Friendly, WV

Answers

Best Answer

Our great dane puppy got parvo and survived. It sounds like you caught it early enough for the vets to be able to help out your sweet doggie. Once they let him out everything will be ok. Parvo does live in the ground and i would suggest that you don't put any more puppies in that area but any dog over a year old will be fine in your yard.

I wouldn't worry about notifying the neighboors because if your dog got parvo then that means its been in your yard and the other dogs have already been exposed to it. When snickers returns everything will be ok, he may stay a little small for his age but will be healthy.

Best Answer

My dog came down with parvo when he was young. He was up to date on all his vaccinations. Be aware that they act as an insurance policy; make odds better that your dog won't contract it, but do not guarantee that he won't. He was kept in our yard with our other pets. He was a Rottie, which is a breed that has one of the lowest survival rates, but we caught it early. He lived through it. We did not have an extremely high or unreasonable vet bill. None of our other pets caught it, and we failed to treat our yard in any way.

(We were ignorant of the fact that we should, and no one--not even the vet, told us that we should.)

Our Rottweiler's growth wasn't stunted in any way, in fact, he grew to be the largest one in our area. My point is, we did almost everything wrong, but ours pulled through. I believe the main factor was that we caught it early. Visit your pet, keep his spirits up, and let him know that you love him. Dogs heal from miraculous things. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your puppy.

Best Answer

So very sorry to hear about Snickers, tough way to get started off in life. We had an akita puppy, Yuri, who got parvo at the vet clinic where we'd gotten her puppy shots on the way home after buying her. She did survive after a struggle but was one sick little baby for awhile. Medical- care costs are negligible compared to the joy & love we receive from our pets who are bonafide members of our families.

Best of luck to you & Snickers ~ wishing you many years of happiness together!

I have a dog that was diagnosed with parvo. He started showing signs on Monday with vomit and bloody diarrhea and we took him to the vet on Tuesday. He got injected and given medication. So we continued doing the treatment at home, but he was OK for the first day, but then got worse. He is now hospitalized with a vet for a 3 day treatment. What are his chances?

Answers

Best Answer

No way to tell. In the old days, dogs with parvo were kept at the vet until they recovered, so it would not spread. Parvo was rare. They were on iv fluids almost the entire time. Now, it is so much more common and the trend seems to be for vets to send them home after they are diagnosed.

I do hope the vet told you how to disinfect everything, including the yard (from it tracking on your feet). If you don't disinfect, it will continue to spread. Even if you don't have another dog, someone visiting could get the virus on their shoes while visiting and take it back to their place.

Best Answer

No one can guarantee anything, but you are giving the dog the best chance by leaving him at the vet and taking him there at the first sign of illness. Good luck.

Best Answer

This all depends on the dog. I had 2 dogs that had parvo in the past. One of them was treated at home and the second spent 7 days at the vet's with an IV and shots. Both of the dogs survived and were fine after the treatments.

It is harder on a small dog such as yours because of their weight. They don't have as much weight to lose as a larger dog does. However, my nephew's Bichon Frise was hospitalized the same time as my dog and they both were very sick when they went in. Both dogs survived. I'd say leaving the dog with the vet is your best chance on a full recovery. They are there to monitor the dog and give the dog injections when needed.