Planning a BBQ for 100 People

Category BBQ and Grill
When planning a BBQ for a large group you will need to decide on your menu, including drinks, snacks, dessert, etc. Then estimate the amount of food in each category needed to feed your crowd. This is a guide about planning a BBQ for 100 people.

I am hosting a BBQ for about 100 people. Keep in mind there are about 25 kids under the age of 12. I would appreciate any serving suggestions for all the categories of food.

As my menu, I have brats, hamburgers, pulled pork, and hot dogs. I plan to have potatoes of some sort, and corn (leaning towards canned). I will also have a 7 bean dish, as well as, potato salad, coleslaw, pickles, and pasta salad.

Snacks- cut up veggies lots of them- peppers, carrots, mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. and fruit- strawberries, pineapple, watermelon, grapes, cantaloupe, and honeydew.

I actually have desert worked out - cup cakes of chocolate and key lime; two different desserts. I have a tendency to over feed and buy too much. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, beer, soda and lemonade for beverages.

Andee from Waukesha, WI

Answers

By Sandee (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My deli said a pound of any kind of food feeds 4 to 6 people. Since you have a very large selection, I would lean towards the 6 people. You also know that not everybody is going to eat some of every single thing that you are serving.

Now, think of your and your immediate family at the bar-b-que. How would each of you fill your plates? I, myself, would probably take two meats, 1/2 cup pasta salad, 1/2 cup corn or chips if you had some, 1 cup of raw veggies, 1 cup of fruit, 1 dessert.

Your party sounds delicious. I would skip potatoes since you are doing potato salad. Perhaps add a couple of bags of potato chips, only open them as you run out.

Men will probably choose two meats, women--some will take 2, some 1, so plan for 1 1/2 meats, children 1 meat--most likely hot dogs or hamburgers.

You do have a lot of food here. Kids probably wouldn't eat any of the salads but will take finger foods like the raw veggies and fruit and pickles.

I suggest skipping the coleslaw--it doesn't sound like it goes with the rest of the meal, plus you have so much to choose from besides that. Another thing to think about--coleslaw and corn could make some other foods soggy when they are put together on a plate.

I am planning a surprise 75th birthday party for my husband. There will be approx 100 people (all seniors) for a BBQ at our clubhouse. It will include a BYOB. We want to grill hamburgers, brats and dogs. We'll serve potato salad, slaw and BBQ Beans and watermelon. I need help in how much to purchase. We want to keep it simple, due to social security income. Thanks!

Mary from Tampa Bay, FL

Answers:

Planning a BBQ for 100 People

When we are planning cookouts and such I always plan on about a .25lb of sides per person. That will give you plenty for heavy eaters. So in that case for like potato salad etc you would lean towards about 25lbs. If there are going to be allot of women children and older people you might want to drop to 18-20lbs. Hope I helped (01/29/2008)

By sarah.

Planning a BBQ for 100 People

Wow, Congrats to the "BIRTHDAY BOY" on his 75th...click on this website ,
http://recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart14.html
It will give you the amounts to feed a large party, but take into consideration they will be eating a little of everything on the menu. Best of luck with your event! (01/29/2008)

By JoAnn Phillips

Planning a BBQ for 100 People

Here is a link that you may find helpful:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf73866617.tip.html

Good luck, it sounds like a fun party! (01/30/2008)

By lalala...

Planning a BBQ for 100 People

For the meat, you don't want to have too little (or too much). In my experience, about half the people will eat two meats, 45% one meat, 5% three meats. That's 160 meats. Hot dogs will probably be the least popular choice, but they are cheapest. You can probably get 5 hamburgers out of a pound, so go for 18 lbs. That gives 90 burgers.

Buy about 50 brats and maybe 5 bags of hot dogs. You can buy more dogs or have some on hand that are frozen to quickly pull out for extras. Good news is that the cooked meats can freeze well if you buy too much.
Another method is to figure about 1/2 lb per person and another 1/4 lb for half the people--so 1/2 lb per person is 50 lbs, and the 1/4 lb for half the people is 12.5 lbs, for 62.5 lbs total.

Have fun! (01/31/2008)

By Sandy from WI

Planning a BBQ for 100 People

I see that you are having a BYOB party, But thought this might be helpful to someone out there. Don't forget to look at the right side of this page to see RELATED Links.

Punch for 100

This recipe for Wedding Punch that serves 100 people.

Ingredients

• 6 packages Raspberry koolade
  • 2 dozen Lemons
  • 3 Large cans Pineapple Juice
  • 4 large bottles of Gingerale
  • 2 bottles of Grenadine
  • 6 cups of sugar
  • 6 qts. water
  • Directions
    Mix all ingredients

In an angel food cake pan (or Jello mold) pour in some of the punch and freeze (to float in large punch bowl.) Add some lemon and orange slices and some fresh whole strawberries. And/Or add scoops of rainbow sherbet to float.

Jessie Cates Meat Loaf

• 20 pounds ground extra lean meat
  • 10 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 oz. ketchup
  • 12 oz. I.Q.F. onions
  • 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
  • Ad

• 2 Tablespoons salt
  • 2 Tablespoons black pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon nutmeg
  • 2 oz. mustard
  • 2 cups bread crumbs
  • By adding a green bell pepper or two chopped fine
    and a grated carrot you could stretch the amount of
    patties you'd get.

There is no baking instructions. I think I remember them served in
    oblong individual loaf pan sizes though. How about making this up as patties and freezing them?

Best wishes for a successful 75th party. Have a ball. GG Vi (02/04/2008)

By Vi Johnson