Pre-lit Christmas Tree Lights Went Out

This year I bought a Lightkeeper Pro, which did a wonderful job repairing several strands of lights on my pre-lit Christmas tree. We were watching TV last night and suddenly one strand (and I think it was one that had been repaired) suddenly blazed significantly brighter. The bulbs were very hot. I turned it off for a bit, and when I turned it back on, that strand of lights was out. I'm hoping someone has a bit more knowledge of electrical circuits and explain this. I'm hesitant to try the repair again - and the heat put out by those bulbs makes me a little nervous about fire.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

I would not use those lights. Just cover up that section of the tree with tinsel or different lights. Why risk a fire?

I'm hoping this problem was just a disappointment and did not spoil any of your Christmas joys.

You will have plenty of time to buy replacement strands (probably on sale now) and be ready to just add lights on any part of the tree that causes a problem.

Please be sure to be safe and not overload any one area with added lights or you may have more than just Christmas tree lights.

Hope you and your family have a safe and wonderful fun-filled New Year celebration!!

Really, I'm looking more for a technical explanation as to what might have happened. Not advice, thank you. The fact that the lights flared before they went out was curious- and also the heat was a sign of danger. I'm no fool! But if anyone on this site has some knowledge of electrical circuits that would be good.

I have a 7-foot GE EZ light Douglas fir, that had a dark strand. I replaced burned out bulbs, and I followed the repair of taking out the fuse bulb, removing the white socket, replacing the bulb with another one back in the white socket and returning the white socket with the new bulb to the strand. I plugged in the tree; the previously dark strand (where I had replaced burned out bulbs) burned brightly white for a few seconds (much brighter than the regular lights) and then burned out, wrecking the new bulbs. I wouldn't recommend this type of repair as it could be a fire hazard. I'm back where I started.

Thanks, Patrick. That sounds like what happened to me, except I got through most of the Holiday season before the flare. Odd. I agree with the fire hazard.