Pre-lit Tree Keeps Blowing Fuse

Category Lights

I have a pre-lit Christmas tree and the top of the tree keeps blowing the fuse. The tree has three parts. The bottom and the middle are both working. I have changed the fuse four times now and the minute I plug it in the fuse blows instantly. I have plugged it into the tree and straight into the wall and it blows. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

By Chris

Best Answer

The most likely cause of this is what is called a "dead short". This basically means that somewhere on that specific wire the strands of wire are bare and touching. This allows the electricity to jump between the two wires "sucking" more electricity than the fuse can handle causing it to blow. STOP plugging in this wire before you burn down the house. Just buy a cheap string of lights and plug them in where the tree's light would have gone.