Pruning a Lilac Bush

My lilac bushes do not have too many flowers this year. When is the proper time to prune? Perhaps I trimmed too much last year. I try to keep them from growing too large and out of control.

Rose from Malvern, PA

Answers:

When to Prune Lilac Bush

You are suppose to cut right it after bloom dies, because they flower on the new growth. (05/13/2008)

By Bonnie

When to Prune Lilac Bush

It is my experience that lilac bushes tend to bloom in cycles, every second year (in my climate) you get loads of blossoms. The alternate year, very few. Be sure to cut off the spent blossoms after they die, especially when you are not going to do a massive pruning job. (05/14/2008)

By Mary Lou

🌻
😎
📓
Generated 2021-07-25 07:10:39 in 750 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Pruning-a-Lilac-Bush-1.html